CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Starter Issue

ronstone

Well, as you can see from my recent posts, my 96 Concours is just surfacing with problems.

Now, the car barely starts. Just had the alternator replaced (bad). Battery is fully charged. It sounds like it can't fully turn over, it tries, and tries, then it goes once, then tries, then rolls again. After about 15 seconds of holding down the ignition, it starts.

Is replacing the starter necessary? I've been having this problem the last week, and it seems to be getting worse every day. I'm afraid it wont start the next time.

Ron

See my response to your other post, I think your battery cables are probably corroded causing your starting problem and possibly some of your codes. My cousin in Virginia was having the same problem recently (96 SLS), and she was jumped, they tightened the connection and she was OK for about a week then the problem started again, the MECHANIC ( <<< insert A** Hole here), said she needed a STARTER and BATTERY!!! I was like NO F'n way!! Clean the cables thoroughly!!! And BAM, she started IMMEDIATELY!!!! The cables collect white corrosion, there are TWO cables on the postive terminal and they MUST be disassembled from each other and cleaned!!!!

Another area that often gets over looked is the cables between the battery and starter. If they start oxidizing internally (inside the plastic/rubber coating) this can cause problems as well.

Jim

Very true but you keep your fingers crossed that is not the problem as I hear its not too easy to replace the battery cables on these cars, but Jim is correct, the corrosion gets into that wire and creeps up its length increasing the resistence.

Archived