CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 STS - I hear liquid running!

rrdrerup115

Maybe air in the cooling system???

That was my first thought but the system is self purging and you'd probably be over heating. I have headr similar sounds under the hood after shut dowm (A/C system equalizing, after boil, etc) but can't say I've ever heard it in the cabin.

If the drain in the hood vent is plugged, water can build up in the air distribution system (ductwork) and slosh around during hard curves or acceleration. I have heard it on some trucks get bad enough to contact the blower fan. Get under the car, back near the firewall, and look for one of those "duck bill" drains or a drain hose.....make sure it's not plugged with all that dirt and pine needles and stuff that falls into the space between the hood and the windshield.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

You did check that air bleeder hose that goes from the top (heater?) hose to the coolant reservoir didn't you? That's the air bleeder line and it must be kept open and free of Bar'sLeak or gunk.

For anybody who follwed my problem with loss of coolant on my 97 aurora I have a question. I just read a post by "rrdrerup115" about the sound of liquid running through the system. To really quickly summurize my problem I have a coolant leak through my surge tank cap. For now as the level dropped a little (not enough to make the message flash - yet anyways) the coolant seems to be very very slowly dripping from the cap. The thing is that I also can hear the liquid running especially when I'm stopped at a light and then when it comes time to go and i step on the gas i can hear as if the liquid was running. Someone suggested that it might be air trapped in the system. Is this at all possible? How would I go about checkin if that is what may be causing my problem? How would I go about fixing it? I think if it is possible that it would make sense because my problem started after I had a hose blow up and most of my coolant was lost. I simply replaced the lower rad hose and filled up the system with fresh coolant. Could that cause air in the system? Anyways I was just thinking outloud...any thoughts on this are really appreciated. Thanks 

Russ, did you read the rest of this post by matd? It is on page 1 tonight, but sounds very similar to your problem.

Any bottled water in the glove box or under the seat?

Public service tip:

Speaking of bottled water. If you have full or near full bottles of water in your car and you live in an area where the temperatures drop below freezing I would remove those bottles from your car since water expands when it cools and the bottle could crack or rupture and then leak water all over the interior of your car when it finally thaws.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Could this sound be a leaking vacumn hose or fitting?

A vac leak would tend to change pitch with a change in throttle position.

Maybe an air-door is flapping with or against it - as the vac-supply changes.

Good luck :(

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

What your hearing is air trapped in your cooling system. Common problem

in the newer GMs with no radiator cap.

Lots of posts on this on GM truck sites..............

It is called "burping" the system.

Check out gm-trucks.com or pickuptruck.com

There are detailed instructions on how to DIY...............geo

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

rrdrerup115, I dont know what your problem is but the sound of "mouthwash" really rang a bell. I used to have a really small garage and it would amplify everything. Anyway after I would turn the ignition off there was a sound similar to mouthwash, however I would say it sounded more like someone slowly chugging a beer. I would hear it on the passenger side near the parking break and under my seat. I attributed it to the fuel going back into the tank via the return line, and I only heard it right after the ignition was turned off....hope this helps

A.J.

JohnnyG - I have been watching MATD's topic as well. I'm pretty sure after reading all these posts, it's air in the cooling system. My worry is that it IS bleeding off properly, just coming back due to a head gasket. This weekend, I'm going to check the air bleed-off running up to the surge tank and make certain it's open. Other than that, I probably won't dig in too deep. I've noticed something else about the cooling system on this car as well. It can idle all day long in park and the temperature gauge stays straight up. If I'm in traffic, and it's in gear, the temperature will climb. Do you think this could be related? I'm wondering if the lower RPM's somehow lets the air pocket form and temperature climb. Once the car begins to move, it will gradually return to normal. Not sure if that's due to the air through the radiator, or higher RPM's and proper flow.

I was afraid that you might come to that conclusion. The exact mechanism for air or combustion gases getting into the system will be very difficult to pinpoint. I suspect that air can sometimes be pulled in during the cooling cycle after the engine is shut down at night. I think I recall one of your first posts seemed to indicate a coolant leak to the outside of the engine. Maybe a case of "better out than in", but the end result is still the same. The coolant may not get into your combustion chambers or lubrication system, so that is sort of a good thing, but the overheating is nothing but a downward spiral, as soon as it gets real serious you end up with a very expensive repair job.

An external repair might be possible to salvage the car, but it would be a first for this board and not a GM recommended fix. This model is running about $12,000 in good condition right now, a bit less with the mileage you reported early on.......an engine fix (head gaskets and timeserts) will be over $3000.00. By an external fix, I mean find the place the coolant leak is getting out and seal it up completely with JB Weld or similar. If you are VERY lucky it might be coming from a mounting attachment or bolt hole. I am not intimately familiar with the block design, so I don't really know if any of this is even possible. One post did indicate success with an oil leak being fixed with JB Weld. That was probably attributed to block material porosity on an older model. Block porosity should not be a factor on a '99 as it was addressed by GM prior to that.

I had a similar problem in my Lincoln ( :rolleyes: ). It was caused by water in the driver's door due to a plugged drain hole.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I have the same thing in my 98 SLS ever since the water pump was replaced last year. It was far more noticable after a long trip to SoCal from Seattle, but 5k miles later, still not a problem. Was also told it's air in the coolant. Doesn't seem to be harmful.

Archived