CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OVerheating... Coolant spilling off

AliRaza

I think the Bars Leak Gold or the GM sealant tabs are for external leaks and likely will not help much on a head gasket. Hard to say if you can do the job yourself. It is not a small job. The timeserts are basicaly drilling out the threads and installing steel threaded inserts and NEW head bolts. I have never done it so I will let someone who has give you more details. By the way, stripped bolts don't mean a new engine. It means you will have to do the job again to install the timeserts unless you do it now. Sorry it wasn't something simpler and cheaper.

P.S. This thread probably set a record and it ain't over yet.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK Guys,

Finally the saga is over........

Now thinking about what JiMDTS said few posts ago, how about putting some gold lead bars in for the heck of it. Idont know if it is going to make any difference on the head gasket leak but I believe I can try it now.....

This has been like a soap opera...... :unsure:

Sorry to hear about the head gasket though. I would try the bars leak gold though.

I'm curious to see if that may help seal the leak. I have some head gaskets leaking as well I just haven't gotten around to adding the additional barleak yet though.

Good luck

Dennis

Hello all, My name is Jim Locke and I run an independent shop in Pa. I truly am sorry to hear of your troubles Ali. I hope you find a way to keep your car. I can't help thinking however that your independent Tech was right all along. Larry G even insinuated that your tech would buy the car cheap! An engine is an engine, 4 cam, single cam, aluminum, iron, long head bolts into aluminum threads, short head bolts into iron, etc. They all still follow the rules and a good tech can fix anything with the correct information. Visit I-ATN and you can see where the good techs hang out. A good shop is not afraid to send techs for training. Three of us in my shop each attend AC-Delco training at least three weeks every year. Just a pitch for us hard working, heavily invested in equipment and training type independents. :D

I am getting ready for the headgasket job. Wanted to ask you something before I get into it.

1: Do I have to take teh engine out in order to change teh head gasket or just removing the hood will provide me enough space to do the complete work?

2: Regarding the time-serting, Does anyone of you know if the tool is available as a loaner tool in Oreilly or Autozone? Do I need to buy it? Is there any place where I can get the details about the time-serting process.

I want to get all the information and have everything ready before I start this job. I did change a headgasket before on a four cylinder but I think this is a different beast all together.

I will appreciate any help on this one. Thanks and regards

Ali

I agree with Larry. It is indeed a bit more difficult to do it with the engine in the car, but it is possible.

Go to www.timesert.com. Look under miscellaneous kits. You'll see the kit for the north*. The also have an online catalog plus online instructions.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

1: Do I have to take teh engine out in order to change teh head gasket or just removing the hood will provide me enough space to do the complete work?

2: Regarding the time-serting, Does anyone of you know if the tool is available as a loaner tool in Oreilly or Autozone? Do I need to buy it? Is there any place where I can get the details about the time-serting process.

You really should pull the engine. It will be all around easier that way. You can pull it from the top. But, yes it can be done in the car.

The TimeSert kit you'll have to buy. Make sure you buy the First Size kit. Hopefully you can find a used one. Instructions come with the kit, but it's a peice of cake. Just a little time consuming. I'll take you about four hours.

You can find a lot of additional info over at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Several people have done it or are doing it there.

AliRaza

There is a product made by Solder Seal called Block Seal. I used it to seal the head gasket in my four cylinder Datsun B210 many years ago. It worked. If you try it, make sure you read the instructions carefully. To my recollection, it must be flushed from the cooling system to prevent it from hardening and blocking the radiator.

Mike

wow..i feel bad about your engine man.. does the SLS have the same engine as the STS? cause i have a sts and i just got it not to long ago it has about 64K in it and was wondering what i should do for preventative mantiance.

Things that ive done:

Changed the spark plugs and spark plug wires

Changed the Oil when i got it

so far thats it.

Im a first time cadi owner and was seeking advise on what i can do to keep the car running proper, thought i would ask on this thred cause all the experts seem to be in here.. and oh yeah while on the subject of over heating what is the normal working temp of 97 sts cause mine stays just a lil bit over the half way mark. is that normal? i want to find out cause summer is just around the corner. and Ali Best of luck with your car i know my heart would brake if that were to happen to to my ride.

mine stays just a hair past center so you should be okay, as for preventive maint. you should flush the cooling system. If you start to use oil your not driving it hard enough, these things love to get wound up not just drive fast, next time you pull out onto the highway floor it and look in the mirror shoudnt see much junk if you do keep punching it till its gone..enjoy!

wow..i feel bad about your engine man.. does the SLS have the same engine as the STS? cause i have a sts and i just got it not to long ago it has about 64K in it and was wondering what i should do for preventative mantiance.

Things that ive done:

Changed the spark plugs and spark plug wires

Changed the Oil when i got it

so far thats it.

Im a first time cadi owner and was seeking advise on what i can do to keep the car running proper, thought i would ask on this thred cause all the experts seem to be in here.. and oh yeah while on the subject of over heating what is the normal working temp of 97 sts cause mine stays just a lil bit over the half way mark. is that normal? i want to find out cause summer is just around the corner. and Ali Best of luck with your car i know my heart would brake if that were to happen to to my ride.

Just follow the maintanence schedule and change the coolant every 5 yrs. Don't flush it. That will just introduce minerals from the water. Just drain and add 50/50 Dexcool and distilled water. Don't forget the sealant tabs or Bars Leak Gold.

Hello guys,

I am back now. Ithink some of you must be thinking "jee... we thought this is over" but guess what its really not. Sorry for bringing your hopes down.

I was out and didnt get a chance to think about my car for a while. Actually that wa a good thing.

So now here is the update. My options are

1: My mechanic friend is asking me to sell this car in an auction. Idont feel good about it as I know that the car is deffective.

2: Sell it at Autozone. But same theory applies as above.

3: Replace the headgasket by myself. Here are my concerns

a: As someone mentioned that it is better to take the engine out while replacing the gasket, I have no clue how to do it and also dont have the right tools to do that too. Thngs like the chain and pulley.

b: Any detailed instructions on how to take the engine out.

c: What tools I need to buy/rent in order to complete the job

d: The bolt that will come with the gasket, Should I be using those bolts along with the new timeserts.

e: When I talked to my mechanic about replacing the gasket myself, his comments were, Dont do it by yourself because the head my be warped, or you may end up in getting the valves grind and what not. So his suggestion is sell it and then go and buy something else. dont spend money on this car.....

i konw he was right about the head gasket but I am not sure if I should go as per his recommendation or not.

Just dont feel good about selling it while I know it has a fault.

Help please.....

Regards

Ali

From an ethical perspective, I wouldn't sell a car with a known problem....

Did the mechanic test the headgaskets as mentioned in previous posts or is he guessing that the headgaskets are bad because most everything else was relplaced?

Warped heads are a rarity in the Northstar engine. Also, the valves shouldn't require machining. It appears that your mechanic is not familiar with the Northstar engine based on his comments....Even though he's your friend, I would suggest getting the car to a Cadillac dealer or a mechanic that is familiar with the Northstar engine - it will save you $ in the long run.

You MUST use new head bolts when replacing the headgaskets as the original bolts are torque to yield bolts that cannot be reused. The OEM gasket set includes new head bolts. I would definitely have the block timeserted while it is all apart. Do not substitute ANY other thread repair parts - use only the TimeSert kit specifically for the Northstar engine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Anyone willing to sell a Northstar 4.0/4.6 timesert kit. the timeserts are available for 1.79 each but the kit itself cost about $300.

I am trying at Ebay and may get lucky. If anyone of you interested in selling a timesert kit, please let me know.

Thanks

Ali

• 4 weeks later...

Alright fellows,

I believe many of you thought that this saga is over. But its never over "until the fat lady sings". SO in my case, She hasnt sung yet.....

A quick question from the pros, "Whats the best way to find out if a head is warp or not". If the head is out, is there a way to tell wheter it is warped or now without taking it to the machine shop???

Second question is, If the head is warped, what are the chances of the block being warped too?

Will appreciate your answer like always.

Best Regards

Ali

To bbobynski OK Iscrewed up a while ago and put Stop-Leak in the surge tank any ideas on the best way to clean the system Feelinf stupid Thanks for your help NDD 1994 Concours 109,000 miles Creampuff or was

Just want to mention that if you replace the thermostat, make sure to get one that is atleast a 200° from a reputable parts store or the dealer. I had a 93 with a cooler one in it and could not figure out why my economy dropped every winter until someone on here told me that if it is a cooler therostat, the engine wont get warm enough to get out of the warm up, rich cycle.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Archived