CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dissecting a washer pump.

Windshield washer reservoir has been losing liquid, so I wrapped the housing of the pump and a few other places with toilet paper to find the leak. The housing of the pump was leaking... I took it apart and snapped a few pictures.

That little o-ring inserted in the bottom part of the housing is supposed to seal the shaft of the motor and not let the fluid go up reach the motor. Looks like the o-ring eventually dries out, the motor rusts out and the fluid leaks out of washer housing through the several cut outs in the housing.

post-312-0-87562900-1462234433_thumb.jpg

post-312-0-06360500-1462234582_thumb.jpg

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I'll bite -- are you going to repair the pump?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

:lol: Jim, I have done it twice. Made a working pump out of two bad ones. This time, I just replaced it with a new one.

I had similar problems with my Olds Bravada pump(s); leaking where sealed. I used a couple of tie-wraps to secure the gaskets more tightly (but it appears to be different from the one's you showed); anyway where I'm going with this, it was only a temporary fix (it started leaking again); I got new motors (I think from Amazon).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I think it's a good idea to use the pump now and then (I do not use it for months) and keep the fluid reservoir half-empty to reduce the hydrostatic pressure on the washer around the shaft of the motor.

Archived