CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oil change word of caution ! Heads up...

Word of caution about “current production” spin on oil filters.

The rubber seal (‘O’ ring) is not fixed to the filter. It can drop off while installing.

Story of caution: I replaced the filter and oil on my Eldorado (1992). The new filter went on with no problem.

Upon a 45 second idle in order to settle the oil level for final top off, the oil splattered all over.

Lost 3 qts but did not lose pressure.

Turns out that the black rubber seal fell off the filter flange while installing the filter and lay hidden in a nook below the filter.

This was not evident upon installation and spot visual check.

To my memory after having installed many many spin on type oil filters on various cars, I have never encountered seals loosely laid on the flange. So this must be the new normal cheap production standard.

Both the ‘Hall’ filter and the replacement AC/Delco filters’ seals just lay on top without glue or crimps.

Sounds like another example of knock-off counterfeits finding their way into the supply chain. We've had several reports of that for various parts recently, all from reputable suppliers

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

First I've ever heard of something like that; definitely a rare occurrence. On the other hand, a more common problem (but also rare) when replacing an oil filter, is when the gasket sticks (to the engine block), the replacement filter is installed and the oil leaks because of the doubled gasket. Now I will check for both conditions; thanks for sharing your data.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I have run into this before. Typically they are lightly crimped, but sometimes they are not and the seal will not be secured by anything.

Would also like to know what brand. I use strictly Delco but have seen changes there also

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Yes but if you lightly oil the seal with oil on your finger, and push the seal down into its seat, I dont see how this is possible, its not like you need to turn it upside down at that point. Seals dont jump out.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived