CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2006 CTS Timing chain issue and question.

Bought a used 2006 CTS from Cadillac dealer on west side of town here in Las Vegas in 2009. Some issues along the way, but a good car that I plan on replacing later this year with a new CTS model. So my issue is two fold; about a year an half ago (2014) I had the ole check engine light come on and the clinking sound on acceleration that was later revealed to be the timing chain. They replaced the tensioners, gaskets, seals, etc, etc and the chain. The bill was over $1800. No discussion by dealer that their might be a special warranty on this. So I was surprised others got their's replaced with warranty help.

Anyway, now a few days ago - guess what? Yep, the engine lights back on and the clinking sound is back. Same issue I presume. So I'm wondering if the replacement timing parts (a lot) and the chain itself are under warranty (mileage is only 15k further along). Gosh, I would hope so? Getting ready to call service department and feel anxious for straight information. I'm wondering if I need to find a new Cadillac dealer on the other side of town for a new CTS as well if this dealer jibes me for another timing belt and system repair... Help!

Thanks

USN Retired

If you got the job done at a GM dealer there will be a Goodwrench warranty. Some of them for wear items like brakes it's only a year, for other things it's the life of the car as long as you own it (not transferable). If you still have the invoice, the warranty will be on it. You can check at the dealer by VIN and see what is covered.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The 3.6 is persnickety when it comes to oil level, and this has been implicated in some of the cam chain wear issues. Have you kept your oil level at optimum; if not, and you want some satisfaction from the dealer, I would make sure the oil level is not low when you bring it back (for service). Good luck (and give us a shout when you have an outcome). I also seem to remember that GM was footing the bill on some of the early 3.6's cam chain failures (but I don't know specifics).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

The only TSB I turned up in the 2011 SI DVD is this one:

#08-06-01-011I: Malfunction Indicator Lamp On - Check Engine Light, DTCs P0011, P0014, P0021, P0024, P0341, P0346, P0366 or P0391 Set (Check Camshaft End Play and Perform Action as Outlined) - (Feb 18, 2011)

The DTCs listed are:

P0011 Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance Bank 1
P0014 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance Bank 1
P0021 Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance Bank 2
P0024 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance Bank 2
P0341 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Performance Bank 1
P0346 Intake Camshaft Position [CMP] Sensor Performance Bank 2
P0366 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Performance Bank 1
P0391 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Performance Bank 2

There is this note at the beginning:

This bulletin is being revised to update the models and provide another part number for the trust washer based on what actuator is installed. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-01-011H (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

More than one engine is involved. The 2.8 liter or the 3.6 liter High Feature V6 (VINs D, T, V, 7 -- RPOs LP1, LLT, LY7) are involved. Included are 2007-2010 Cadillac CTS Sedan, CTS Sport Wagon, SRX, STS. Although model years earlier than 2007 are mentioned, the High Feature V6 was introduced with the 2004 CTS. The LY7 engine is the 255/263 hp version used on the 2004-2009 CTS.

This TSB is quite long and includes photos, FSM procedures, parts lists, and Labor Time Guide (flat rate manual) tables for the procedures. I didn't find it with a web search but did "print" it to a 23-page PDF file. The copyright on the last page says 2016, as do some of the pages on the SI DVD as displayed in IE. Either it gets the copyright date from the computer or it updates information from the WWW.

If anyone wants a copy of the PDF file, send me a PM.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived