CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

06 SRX power steering reservoir

Russtoy

Hi I haven't been here in a while, We bought a 06 SRX, with a 100,000 miles, like all SRX's it uses oil, and no feed me light, worse then my Saturn, no leaks, but goes through it fast, a qt every few hundred miles, and no noticeable smoke. Not the problem right now. I have a power steering reservoir I think is leaking. I can't find one anywhere (new). Anyone have a line on one? I looked at rockauto (I guess they don't have all the parts I will ever need LOL ) and oreilly's nothing. I looked on ebay, nothing. I have replaced the pressure line and the return line, rubber sections, the tank is always wet at the clamps, put new clamps on too. Thanks for any help.

YOu didn't say, but I'm assuming it's the V6. GM Parts Headquarters has one for $108.11; see

http://gmpartsheadquarters.com/2006-cadillac-srx-base-gas_3.6_v_6-transmission_automatic_trans_speeds-steering-p_s_pump_hoses-BN04362/

I didn't check to see if the part was the same with the V8.

I looked in the 2006 FSM and there is a page for oil consumption diagnosis. The definition of excessive oil consumption is using more than one quart in 2,000 miles. The "Preliminary" checks are

• External oil leaks -- Refer to Oil Leak Diagnosis.
  • Incorrect oil level or improper reading of the oil level indicator

With the vehicle on a level surface, run the engine for a few minutes, allow adequate drain down time (2-3 minutes) and check for the correct engine oil level.

• Improper oil viscosity

Refer to the vehicle owners manual and use the recommended SAE grade and viscosity for the prevailing temperatures.

• Continuous high speed driving and/or severe usage
  • Crankcase ventilation system restrictions or malfunctioning components
  • Worn valve guides and/or valve stems
  • Worn, missing or improperly installed valve stem oil seals
  • Piston rings broken, worn, not seated properly

Allow adequate time for the rings to seat.

Replace worn piston rings as necessary.

• Piston and rings improperly installed or miss-fitted to the cylinder bore

There is a linked Oil Leak Diagnosis page that has a long list of things. Categories include

• Visual inspection method
  • Powder method (clean the engine, then use spray baby powder to show up the leak)
  • Black light and dye method (dye added to oil, high-intensity black light for inspection)
  • Causes of leaks

I looked in the V8 section also and it seems to be the same, except for a warning that a power steering leak can be into the engine valley and drip out the drain at the rear of the engine, mimicking an oil leak.

I would change the oil and filter, putting in whatever the owner's manual says, drive it for 1000 miles, and change the oil again. If the oil consumption doesn't stop, you can look for leaks. If it's a leak under pressure, it won't leak when the engine is stopped and your garage floor will be dry.

Don't use oil additives, special oils or viscosity ratings not recommended in the owner's manual.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks for the info, on oil consumption, this car uses a quart every 5-600 miles no leaks to be found no smoke. I was using mobile 1 listed on the oil fill can 5x30. I am trying a conventional oil to see if it will stop ...it hasn't. this thing is worse then the Saturn I had.the gas mileage sux too. awd is not very good, 20 per gallon tops on highway. Opps and yes it is the v6

I will try the WOT treatment. I had a thought on the power steering, is it possible that the pump is not by passing, or a line is partially plugged, and causing the fluid to push out the cap? The res is always wet I wipe it off every time I fill it.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I don't know that much about problems with the V6 but it is relatively trouble-free, the notable exception being a cam chain recall on a model year that I don't recall. Others will chime in on that.

The most common oil consumption cause on a Northstar on the order of a quart every 500 miles or so is severely stuck rings. Mobil 1 5W-30 and a road trip of at least 500 miles is one way to help get oil to the rings. There is a dealer treatment for stuck rings for the Northstar that may be appropriate to the V6. But before I did that I would do a real search for oil leaks under the car. If the garage floor is not wet, I would start at the oil cooler lines, particularly the fittings at the oil filter adapter and the radiator, the cam covers, the bell housing weep hole, etc.

I did a search on Amazon for "oil leak detection" and turned up scads of dye and UV light/amber goggles solutions at reasonable prices. Adding dye, making one 30-minute drive, and looking under the car with the UV light and goggles would likely bring out anything worthwhile as a leak.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived