CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need help 04 deville brake booster issue

Replaced booster Royal pain, had to drop the steering column putting back can't shift out of park? Did break stop light switch and had to unbolt shifter bracket but don't have any idea of what's the shifting issue any advise would be greatly appreciated.

The OBD codes might tell the tale, but the first thing that comes to mind is the interlock between the brakes and the shifter. The stop light switch is involved. Looking at the schematic for the circuit that energizes the solenoid that unlocks the shifter in the FSM, here is a list:

• IGN 3 voltage must be on to energize IGN 3 relay
  • Stop Lamp/AT Shift Lock Control Switch (brake must be depressed)
  • Key must be in ON position to energize PARK Relay
  • 10 Amp IGN 3 RR Fuse in Fuse Block - Rear
  • 15 Amp IGN SW Fuse in Fuse Block - Rear

Check the wiring to the A/T Shift Lock Control solenoid (DK GRN/WHT, BRN, and BLK wires). There is a relay in there as well as the solenoid that unlocks the shifter.

NOTE that I'm assuming that because you have the DHS, you have the console shifter. Let me know if you have the shifter on the steering column because the schematic is different.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks, it is a dhs but it has the column shifter, I loosened the column bolts and dropped it abit will shift but once tightened back it will not. Maybe column has to go back to the original position exactly. With it dropped it starts shifts and runs, good thing is that the brakes work. frustrating!

With the column shift, the shift lock actuator has no relay and only the DK GRN/WHT and BLK wires. That's the only thing actually in the steering column, so the problem is in that wiring. The connector is C202, a 40-cavity connector at the base of the steering column, so the problem is in the wires themselves or the connector to the shift lock solenoid itself. Look for a pinched wire; if it has been grounding when you tighten up the steering column, the insulation will be broken. That would be the DK GRN/WHT wire.

There are two brake switches. One operates the transmission interlock, one the brake lights. But that doesn't seem to be the problem.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thank again, but I got lucky repositioned the column and it shifts, will runtheobd and check codes after I get a brake light switch. Appreciate thee advise and help

Archived