CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front Struts 2004 DeVille DHS

Struts are OEM and never replaced. Does anyone have a brand name recomendation for a quality replacement as I will do the work myself and use a complete strut assembly which includes the coil over spring. Car has 43,000 miles but is twelve years old.

Thanks

Roy

At 43,000 miles, the struts can't be worn out. Is the front of the car bouncing/oscillating and the ride is poor? If not, why replace the struts?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

:welcomesmiley:

As KHE says, time doesn't make AC/Delco shocks and struts go bad, within reason. As for mileage, I changed the struts and shocks on my 1997 Eldorado at 156,123 miles. Yes, the new ones made a big difference in the ride, but it was still passing the bounce test on all four corners. I had new springs, front and rear, but did not use them because the ride height measurements were right on the specifications for a new car according to the factory shop manual.

There is no reason not to go with AC/Delco if you don't have the electronic suspension (RPO FE1). Rock Auto lists struts at $128 a side, and shocks at $156 a side.

If you do have the sport suspension with electronic shocks (FE3), Rock Auto lists AC/Delco struts at $513 a side without springs, and shocks at $478 a side. We have a fellow here, BodybyFisher, who changed the struts on his 1996 Deville and used his old springs. He took lots of really good photographs, and the thread is still up. If you want to consider renting the tool to change the struts and keep the springs in the old assembly, we'll put a link to the thread in a reply here.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived