CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strange Nose Dive.

Marika

When I went to my mother's house yesterday, traffic was moving very fast on the Garden State Parkway. At certain points I was in the middle lane doing 80 mph and **almost** keeping up with the cars in front of me. LOL!!

When I would press the brakes at this speed, the front passenger side of the car would nose dive and the car would pull to the passenger side. I've never noticed this at lower speeds, even at 55~65 mph.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Almost forgot to mention, no codes are setting.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

no codes, so the struts must be OK... It sounds like your brakes are grabbing on the pass side or the drivers side is NOT grabbing. My guess however is that your brakes on the pass side are grabbing evidenced by the dive that is occurring. I would have the front brakes checked asap... maybe the caliper slides are binding or the caliper is ceasing. Don't discount however that the drivers side brakes are not doing their job and the pass is doing it all, I think RANGER told me of that possiblity.... Good luck, Marika, Watch out in wet weather until you get it fixed this problem could put you into a skid... Mike

Looks like your front passenger side brake engages faster and stronger than left one. Just take the wheels of and inspect brake pads wear pattern and compare.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

When I take the car back to the mechanic on Friday, I'll mention it to him. It was pretty odd and had me on my toes. Thanks for the info.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Marika, I can not stress how dangerous this can be on wet and or snowy roads. We are getting snow now as we speak, I am sure you have it also, be careful with it. Oh thats right, you have the MINI! Good, Mike

Marika, I can not stress how dangerous this can be on wet and or snowy roads.  We are getting snow now as we speak, I am sure you have it also, be careful with it.  Oh thats right, you have the MINI!  Good, Mike

I know the implications and dangers involved. I rarely drive faster than 60 on dry roads and on wet roads, 40 is usually the limit. On snow or ice covered roads, 25 is the top limit. I only discovered this nose dive because of the speed I was traveling at, it doesn't occur even when doing 60. But Iwill get checked on Friday when I take the car back for the transmission lines.

As for the struts setting codes, since they are passive struts I think they won't set a code anyway, yes? The "service ride control" message was turned off when I had the faulty electronic struts removed and replaced with passive struts.

Oh I did not know that you had passive struts. No they would not set a code. Originally I was thinking that you could have a single bad strut, but with the nose dive AND pull, I think its brake related.

I had the brake hoses replaced when I purchased the car in August, 2003. Could they already need to be replaced again?

I had the brake hoses replaced when I purchased the car in August, 2003. Could they already need to be replaced again?

Unlikely. This also could be a bad STRUT ROD BUSHING or ball joint, but I still feel its brake related. Try driving it again when the conditions are dry, maybe your pads were wet causing the uneven braking..

Got back from the mechanic, they could find nothing wrong except that the tire pressure was low on that side. Seems to be fine now.

Easy (and inexpensive) fix - if that's all it was.

Happy New Year

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

The same thing was happining to my car when I first got it the car kept pulling me to the left then one day I checked the tire pressure and like yours it was up way to high almost 55 PSI lol.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Archived