CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

traction control

mike5514

Merry christmas everyone! Had my 97 sls on the road last night and there was snow and ice everywhere, this dont happen much here so this is the first time for me in this car. At times I could feel the abs kick in sometimes when accelerating the traction control engaged message came on. My wife wanted to know what traction control is and I tried to explain but I realised that I was not sure. I did a topic research on this site and i came away with the controling of the abs, the amount of wheel spin and engine speed by a module in the car? I take it its not stabletrack like on the sts. Are the struts controled also? Any way I felt good that the car was helping me to drive. As it was i lost control twice while coming to a stop for a few feet. Mike

Here is a prior post by bbobynski that explains TRACTION CONTROL:

There are a lot of different traction control systems on cars out there....

Some retard spark to reduce power, cut out cylinders to reduce power and close the throttle to reduce power.

Many cars with electronic throttle control will close the throttle quite a bit to reduce power to control wheel spin.

Some, such as the mid 90's Corvettes, had a throttle "kicker" to reduce the throttle opening to control wheel spin even though it was a cable actuated throttle.

Many different traction control systems use the ABS brakes to control wheel spin. That is very very common. When the system senses wheel spin it automatically applies the brake at the spinning wheel to inhibit wheel spin.

The RWD Cadillacs all use the brakes as the first , immediate means of intervention when wheel spin occurs and then cut fuel to as many as 5 cylinders over time to reduce the load on the brakes. The brakes continue to be the "trim" to keep wheelspin at a prescribed level and the cylinder cutout just reduces the work that the brakes must do.

The FWD traction control system will use just brakes for several seconds and then start cutting cylinders. It doesn't happen immediately. When cylinders are cut they are done in sequence and spark retard is used to "smooth" the transition as cylinders are cut so it is very difficult to feel at first when it is happening.

Since traction control systems operate so differently and there is quite a bit of difference in traction control and the logic employed between FWD and RWD cars it is hard to make broad statements about what "traction control" does and will and won't do. It is very different in operation between different cars, manufacturers and such

Every time I read a tutorial type article posted by bbobinsky I think how nice it would be having a separate topic "Ask Bbobiynsky" where people could as Guru some general questions no one could answer better than our Guru!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Every time I read a tutorial type article posted by bbobinsky I think how nice it would be having a separate topic "Ask Bbobiynsky" where people could as Guru some general questions no one could answer better than our Guru!

Bbobynski's, the man!

I keep hoping someone would be willing to compile all Bbobynski's posts into one volume and make it available to our members. I would love to buy a copy!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I keep hoping someone would be willing to compile all Bbobynski's posts into one volume and make it available to our members. I would love to buy a copy!

I'll buy that, Literally..

If there was just a place to post them, we could put them in a "Best of Bbobynski" file as they are posted or as we go back and find them. Then simply list them clearly to make them easy to find ie: fuel pump diagnoses, knock sensor operation, octane, air filter vs fuel econonmy (remember that one) etc. As an example go to http://www.cadillacforums.com/ and look at the Cadillac Technical Archive in the upper left corner. Much of that is "Best of Bbobynski". Imagine if we had something like that, that we could add to as his posts make themself available.

THat would be cool, huh, we could organize them into folders, like, EGR, Detonation, power steering pump, number one main bearing 4.9, etc.... Let's DO IT..... :lol: I think we need his approval however, not to mention help from Bruce.

Hey what ever happened to the idea that we would put the old archives on CD and sell it, did that ever happen? Can it happen? Not that the link to the old archives isnt easy...

Keep in mind that some of the members enjoy their anonymity, and are able to enjoy contributing to this and other sites because the discussion does not focus on them.

However, bbobynski is welcome to a separate forum or any other setup he would prefer on this site. I think that inputs from he and people like John Sundeen are priceless in understanding and enjoying the cars. Miracles happen when the engineers talk to the customers; you end up with amazing products used in amazing ways.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I have not seen John Sundeen for quite some time but you are correct, I learned quite a bit from him regarding my AM radio problem.

I guess we should throw this thought out to bbobynski.

Bruce, if there is anyway I can help to organize the existing bbobynski posts, to create a bbobyski section I would be glad to offer my help to you, I would not mind dedicating my time to this project. That is of course if it is ok with bbobynski. Mike

I don't think I would want to be the one to ask Guru to man a special forum. I think that would be a bit presumptuous. I know he is on several other sites as well and a labor of love would become more of a job. Personally I think if we can just gather all his past informative posts, sort them clearly and add to it when they appear we would have a gold mine.

I don't think I would want to be the one to ask Guru to man a special forum. I think that would be a bit presumptuous. I know he is on several other sites as well and a labor of love would become more of a job. Personally I think if we can just gather all his past informative posts, sort them clearly and add to it when they appear we would have a gold mine.
I agree with you. The best thing we can do - just preservinfg whatever was posted and hopefully much more would be posted by Guru and somehow organize it. There is an old saying "hidden means lost".

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

That is not what I personally was suggesting. That would be too much work for Guru. I am suggesting organizing his historical posts by subject, ie EGR, Detonation, etc. We would need his permission to do so, but not for ACTIVE posts, he can respond to this group as usual, any good info/posts would be categorized and included in an informational section. I for one am always quoting/linking to him. Mike

Mike,

Someone had suggested a section answered by him. I guess that is what I was referring to. I don't think we would need his permission (not that he wouldn't give it). It is already posted and public and that is why he posts in the first place.

It boggles my mind to think of the things that we collectively could dig out of the archives. Or as "Kelly Bundy" would say, "It makes the mind wobble" :lol:

And if it can be organized as FAQ or something like that, owners can find help easier and, very important bobinsky will have a time to answer new, other questions. I found it's very often he spents time to answering the same questions again and again!

Archived