CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AutoWeek Flashback: 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood

For the 1993 model year, General Motors moved the Cadillac Fleetwood name over to a lengthened version of the rear-wheel-drive platform used by the Chevy Caprice, resulting in the longest production automobile available in the United States that year. Not only that, the new Fleetwood also had the largest towing capacity of any automobile in the world. These facts and many more may be found in this seven-minute promotional film, which captures one of the last of the old-time land-yacht-style Cadillacs. Why, there was even a Brougam version available

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The coming-soon Cadillac CT6 (122.4") has a bit larger wheelbase compared to the 96 Fleetwood (121.5") , and will have more power in all guises (265-404 vs 260hp ), and weighs up to 800 lbs less depending on powerplant and RWD or AWD (3650-4400 lbs vs 4400 lbs).

The return of the fullsize full luxury Cadillac, only lighter, more powerful, and with more features. I still have a soft spot for the 96 Fleetwood though.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I drove some Impalas of that vintage, as rental cars. The video makes me wish that I had driven a Fleetwood or two. The rigidity of the frame and chassis, the suspension travel, and a number of other features that I noticed that were unusual for Chevrolet lead me to believe that a Cadillac was designed into that platform. I would like to have been able to experience the rest of the Cadillac in the Fleetwood.

Perhaps the lesson-learned for 2016 is to drive a CT6, one way or another. As a performance and sport car person I don't pay enough attention to the more "pure" luxury cars.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived