CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

93 cadillac deville shifting problem

hi everyone this is my first time on one of these forums so just let me know if i did something wrong. thanks for the help

i have a 93 Cadillac deville with a problem. my car has 106000 miles with v8 4.9. the car will run fine end everything will work like it should until you get 25 to 40 miles down the road or drive for 15 min and late idle for 20 min then the car will not want to go into gear. i have replaced the torque converter solenoid, egr, idle air control valve , safety neutral switch, vss, and changed fuel filter. the problem is when it gets warm it does not want to go into gear i have hooked it up to a computer while driving down the road the computer shows that that the gears are turning on and off and i dont know what the problem is or what i need do as i do not have a lot of money.

:welcomesmiley:

If there is an electrical problem, you can probably tell what it is using the On-Board Diagnostics to look for it. With the key ON, on the A/C buttons, press OFF and WARM together until all the dash lights come on like you just turned on the key, then release both buttons. Watch the message center near the speedometer, and the codes will be given, one at a time. Write them down and post them here.

You say you used a computer with the car while driving with the car and may already have the OBD codes. If so, please post them here.

Some car diagnostic computers can read data from the PCM/ECM. If so, and you can read them, the hydraulic pressures inside the transmission can be helpful.

There are links in my signature block for a Caddyinfo "How-To" page on reading your OBD codes, and for my personal OBD and RPO code lists for Cadillacs. I just added an early OBD I page that covers your car.

Your car has the 4T60E which will have two shifting solenoids. I'm not familiar with the details of that transmission so I don't know what you mean by the torque converter solenoid, which may be a third solenoid that engages the torque converter clutch, or TCC.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Have you verified the transmission fluid is at the correct level? It must be checked with the trans. at operating temperature so right before it acts up would be the time to check the fluid level. It should be within the cross hatched area on the dipstick.

With the ignition on, simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel. Any trouble codes will be displayed on the fuel data center. Write them down and post them back here. When you see .7.0, that means the system is awaiting further input. Either turn off the ignition or press AUTO to exit the diagnostic mode.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like the sprag went bad in this tranny, I had the same thing happen in my 91 Seville, after 2nd gear if I recall, the tranny freewheeled, no acceleration.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Researching the archives should tell more on this. I recall there being a issue with the sprags up to 1993 causing the same issue

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile