CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NYDailyNews: Covert Caddies: 5 strange and awesome Cadillacs you never knew existed

But despite their popularity and prestige, there may be some Cadillacs that you’ve never noticed. We’ve dug up 5 of the most obscure, strange, and awesome cars to wear the (no longer) laureled badge for your enjoyment.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/street-smarts/5-cadillacs-heard-article-1.2513775

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I have to agree with their last pick: Cien Concept (fourteen year old design)................................bring it.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

OMG that fleetwood is beautiful. Love the color too. Would like to see more of that one.

Not too crazy about the eldo though

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

There were two major statements with the Cien, styling and the V-12. Because of the politics of the time concerning fuel economy, the V-12 project was dropped. The 2002 CTS took a lot of styling cues from the Cien, such as the grille and angular profiles, and the large vertical taillights that you now see on every Cadillac. But I believe, like Bruce, that a new car will be another concept that is more at home with the 2020's. The engine is TBD; the new 4.5 liter DOHC turbocharged V8 power plant is the newest engine and thus the best hint of future directions.

Mid-engine cars have been a problem for GM since the 1950's. Zora Arkus-Duntov wanted the C2 (1963 through 1967 model years) to be a mid engine design, and he brought it up again with the C3 (beginning with the 1968 model year, which turned out to be mostly a body change). A serious development, even for a racing prototype, was never undertaken by GM, although all models of the Chaparral of Jim Hall and Hap Sharp were mid-engine racing cars, and there was a secret team within GM that supported the Chaparral. Ford managed to identify one member of the team and hired him away, and over the next few years hired all the rest away.

Once Arkus-Duntov retired in 1975, the NIH of the non-Zora people relaxed but as far as I know nothing significant has ever been done regarding development of a mid-engine chassis, other than the Fiero, which showed a lack of depth in engine compartment ventilation in the initial four-cylinder configuration, which gave the car a bad name that eventually led GM to drop the model. But the idea seems to have been recognized as the winning configuration for world-class racing cars, and GM is now in the business of selling world-class street *and* racing cars. The trial balloon of a mid-engine platform shared by Corvette and Cadillac was flown a few weeks ago.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 weeks later...

How did they miss the 16 Concept? That was good looking and actually ran.

My understanding is that the reception was excellent, and the Cien was the basis for a planned model for the 2010 model year. In the 2005 movie "The Island" that was set in the near future, the Cien was introduced to one of the main characters as a 2010 Cadillac. But huge pressures were on GM about CAFE standards and appearances of political correctness and such, and the project was shelved. I'm not sure that this would happen with Today's Cadillac. Audi and others have shown the value of a $250,000 halo car to a marque.

In summary, the Cien didn't miss. The grille was shared with contemporary CTS models, and the rear treatment is still shared with CTS/ATS models.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived