CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Antenna will not go all the way down??

jamesg

Motor still working, however power antenna will only go half way down. I try pushing each section gently, but the top skinny part will go so far down into the deep thick part, which will not bulge. I also tried synthic motor oil. No work. Any suggestion. Little problems are beginning to pop up with the 93 STS. 11 years old now. Black grip on shift lever broke, Refrig want go into system states it is full, wind shield fluid reservior leaking and host of other small problems. With no STS in the Junk Yards anywhere, parts may cost me a pretty penny at a GM dealer. I asked the junk dealers why no STS. He stated yards like to keep the car hold and not break up a caddy. However the differ Junk Yards on the internet and all will send you a email and their ph # stating they have the part you are looking for. However you call them on the phone they will not have the part you requested, consequently wasting my time with computer generated emails.

The manual for the '93 STS says that the power antenna should never be lubricated with ANYTHING. It should be cleaned with mineral spirits. Be sure that the antenna is full extended and then clean with mineral spirits on a clean rag.

Then lower the ant enna and put it back up and clean it with mineral spirits again on another clean rag.

If nothing is bent, I betcha it will now work fine, I betcha.

Merry Christmas

There is a nylon cable that attatches to the mast on one end and the motor at the other. The cable is broken. You can replace the whole thing or get a repair kit for $50 from http://www.antennamastsrus.com/. Their site does not list Cadillac but they do have them. I just replaced mine a few months ago. Just give them a call. It comes with a new mast, cable, lube and all parts needed plus instructions copied right out of the service manual.

There is a nylon cable that attatches to the mast on one end and the motor at the other. The cable is broken. You can replace the whole thing or get a repair kit for $50 from http://www.antennamastsrus.com/.

Or you can get the nylon cable repair kit from your friendly GM Dealer

(part # 22038195) for $14.74 (list)... GM told me that this part was only for "G" body cars. But for 12 bucks (friends and family price) I though what the heck and yup it fit my dad's '91 Trofeo perfectly...

Both of these options require that you remove and take the power antenna motor apart... Which requires drilling out about 6 hollow rivets..

Good luck

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

There is a nylon cable that attatches to the mast on one end and the motor at the other. The cable is broken. You can replace the whole thing or get a repair kit for $50 from http://www.antennamastsrus.com/.

(part # 22038195) for $14.74 (list)... GM told me that this part was only for "G" body cars. But for 12 bucks (friends and family price) I though what the heck and yup it fit my dad's '91 Trofeo perfectly...

Both of these options require that you remove and take the power antenna motor apart... Which requires drilling out about 6 hollow rivets..

Good luck

When I replaced mine I called every GM dealer in the area, Chevy, Pontiac, Olds & Cadillac. No one had the kit any more. That's why I went with antennamastsrus. In my case I did not have to remove the motor. Did it in the car and only had to remove 3 screws. No rivets to drill out. Yours may be different.

Good luck

When I replaced mine I called every GM dealer in the area, Chevy, Pontiac, Olds & Cadillac. No one had the kit any more. That's why I went with antennamastsrus. In my case I did not have to remove the motor. Did it in the car and only had to remove 3 screws. No rivets to drill out. Yours may be different.

antenna2.GIF

I hope my picture works, but if your power antenna looks at all like the one above (this one is scanned from my '92 Allante Parts Book). Part # 22038195 works. And Ranger is right if you ask the dealer to look it up for your car he won't find it... It is a "secret" part number. The last one I got was 12 months ago so they might be discontinued now....

And unless GM changed the design of their power antenna motors in the early 90's (which is extremely likely)... If you find that yours is held together with three screws this means that your motor is at least on its second repair...

caddy.jpg

Greg

And unless GM changed the design of their power antenna motors in the early 90's (which is extremely likely)... If you find that yours is held together with three screws this means that your motor is at least on its second repair...

I don't think that is correct, at least for the '97 anyway (maybe there was a design change). My shop manual indicates there are 3 screws that need to be removed to replace the cable. I bought my car with around 15K on is so it is unlikely it was repaired.

With no STS in the Junk Yards anywhere, parts may cost me a pretty penny at a GM dealer. I asked the junk dealers why no STS. He stated yards like to keep the car hold and not break up a caddy.

For used STS parts, try http://www.car-part.com

There are plenty of STS's in junk yards. Most of the reputable salvages in the US are listed at car-part.com.

Best of luck to you.

K.O.T.

;) I had similar problem and I replaced the cable on my 93 STS (not any more) and it went fine, the cable is generic GM cable.

If you know little mechanical works, you can dismantle the Antinna, by removing the screws from inside the trunk and rotating the chrome flange on the outer side it is a screwed fitting. Take the antinna out of the car, remove the revits by drilling through them. Ge your self few nuts and bolts to replace the revits. Take out the cable, and go to any GM spare parts shop and you could get similar cable for around US $10 to 15.00 (aftermaket parts are avilable too).

Replace the Cable and re assemble. I cannot recall How I replaced it, I think when I reinstalled the antinna it was fully retracted. When you install it back, do not tighten the flange until you make sure that the antina is functioning right by positioning it connecting the cables and turning on the utility power in the car.

I ran couple of trials util I got it running fine, that was two years ago.

All the best to you.

About this time of year I use a little WD40 or equal (Gibbs, in my case) on the antenna. I extend it up, wipe a little on the mast with a paper towel, run it up and down, then, with it back up, use the other end of the paper towel and wipe off any/all residue.

This gives it a light coating of lubrication, but no film to catch dirt, etc.

I had a similar problem a few years ago, and posted a similar dilemma on this site regarding the power antenna. I also posted my *ahem* brilliant fix it job which has earned me fried chicken and watermelon from my brother every time we get together to work on our caddies.

Gm has a nasty habit of changing this part. Even mid production year. That is to say, the stock part you order may not be close to the right thing. I.E.- the power cable kit didn't work in mine. My cable resembled a large piece of weed-whacker cord, while the one supplied in the kit, and in subsequent replacement parts has teeth on it and feeds thru a gear. Mine just passively coiled around a drum as the motor turned, no gears.

So here's the fix assuming you have a broken cable and it is not geared.

Remove the unit from the car and disassemble it. Find the break in the cable and cut each side cleanly. Take a dremmel tool and hollow out a quarter inch on both sides of the break, then jb-weld a piece of weed whacker cable or small air line tube into both sides, thus rejoining your broken cable. Make sure it fits snug and let it dry.

If you DO buy a whole new unit, be advised that it may require fabrication of a new mounting bracket, even though the GM dealer will swear up and down that it is the same part.

Good luck!

Thanks you guys for the info!!! I truly appreicate the response. The 93 is getting older and before long I will have replaced everything from the Motor, Tranny to the Antenna. Sooner or later I will have practically a brand new car, good for another 11 years. However, still a powerful muffler roaming machine, that makes me re-think every time I think about getting rid of it. For the money I have put back into it, I certainly will keep it forever until it falls apart on the roadway. My collector item!!!!!!! When will I give up and stop putting my money into it. 208,000 miles.

v/r

• 3 months later...

Hi - I have the same problem with my 93 Seville - sounds like the motor is working, but antenna does not move, & is stuck about 1/3 of the way up.

I want to try to fix it myself. Does anyone have any experience with this company - AntennaX antennaX

They have a kit for $29.99 + $12 shipping on ebay ebay

Can anyone tell if it looks like this one will work ?? Thank you for your help.

post-3-1113214726_thumb.jpg

Good luck

Arrg Blubird, buy the mast at your dealer...

Its way cheaper... :o And when was the last time that someone said that! :lol:

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived