CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trip to Fla

JONSCAT

I need some advice,i have to make a trip to fla monday and the traction control light and ABS light are on,i know that i will not have Anti-lock brakes or traction control,but the car drives fine and stops fine.Question is will driving the car on this trip do anymore damage and will it be safe? Thanks for any input you can give me. Jon

Check the on board diagnostic codes. Push the 'off' and 'warmer', (red) buttons on ther climate control at the same time. Hold them down untill it blinks and reads out. Push 'auto' to exit. 'H' will give you history codes, 'C' will give you current. You can read these by going to the FAQ's on the home page here.

The code will direct you to which wheel is generating the fault, "RR" rear right, "LF" left front, etc. It may be as simple as a dirty or loose plug that needs to be pulled, cleaned and re-attached.

Following these steps and resetting the codes may be all it takes...Good place to start. (Let us know what you find..)

Good luck, and have a safe trip.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I ahve the same problem it's caused by a faulty speed sensor a GM mechanic said it's fine and won't do any damage but you need to find out what is causing yours not to work because it could be something that my damage the car down the road.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

It is as safe as any car without T/C & ABS. Probably won't due any damage but if it is the speed sensor it has been my experience that the speed sensor is just a precursor to the bearing going out (6 months in my case).

The only thing that I could add is that if ABS light is on, your brake response will be slower than with ABS.

It is safe to drive but keep a distance for longer braking distance. I experienced similar problem and I was driving the car for almost a month without ABS or Traction control.

Take care and all the best.

Archived