CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Steering Whine

chriskoc1

On my base 1993 Seville, it has hard steering and a whine when I turn the wheel. I thought this may be a bad rack, but in the first couple seconds after I start the car, the steering is fine. After that is goes bad. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Don't jump to conclusions, you could have a bad pump or you could be sucking air at a connection near the pump, I would eliminate that first, in addition make sure your tensioner is providing proper serp belt pressure, it sounds like it could be a slipping belt. You may need to bleed the air out of the system also but only after you find the source of a leak that is sucking air.

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

On my 93 Seville, I had the same problem. Thought it to be a bad pump...but when a friend looked under there for my, he saw that it was leaking fluid in the vacinity of the rack. He told me that it was sucking air into the system when running. He told me to go get the best power steering conditioner that I could find...That is what I did. Went and bought the most expensive bottle that I could find. Put it in and withing a couple hundred miles, the system was like new and after about 1000 miles, it was no longer leaking either and I never had to add any more fluid to it. Lasted me another 10,000 miles until I sold the car and I have heard that it is still on the road!

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I have found that changing the power steering fluid makes a world of difference. I have changed it on 4 vehicles so far and every one steered much smoother and quieter afterwards. They all had black fluid and new fluid is clear.

K.O.T.

Archived