CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Changing Coolant Too

jackc

I'm changing my coolant this weekend too - 93 Northstar. My book refers to the left drain and right drain for the block, but doesn't come right out and say where they are.

On the front of the engine, I can see one small plug that is up, out of reach toward the rear (trans end) of the engine. Is that one of them? How do you get to it? Through a gap in the exhaust manifold with an extension? Wherever the front is, I'd like to find it, since about 3.5 liters is supposed to come out of it.........

Haven't looked for the back one yet - hopefully it will be easier to see.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I dont recall anyone ever draining the block, as it is aluminum I personally would leave it alone for fear of messing up threads.

If you flush with water I am told you will mess up the 50/50 mix or it will definately be harder to get back to a 50/50 as straight water will be in the block. I believe just flushing out the radiator and refilling is adequate.

I went through this a few years ago. On my '94 there are no block drains. The service manual states that they have drains.

It appears in '93 and '94 that those drains were never installed.

When I changed my antifreeze, I backed up on a set of ramps, then removed the lower rad hose. Not sure this drained much additional antifreeze from the block, however it made me feel better.

I then came down from the ramps before adding the new antifreeze. (and tablets)

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Archived