CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

If Only Cadillac...

Bruce Nunnally

What would you like to see Cadillac do in terms of services or access or information that would make you more likely to purchase a new Cadillac as your next new car?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I would like to see all Cadillac service departments linked by a central computer system - you pull into any dealer...and, by entering your VIN, he could tell you ALL the service/recalls/maintenance done by Cadillac dealers on your car and when it was done...wherever it has been...now only your local dealer can print out the service that only he has done to your Cadillac.

I would like to see all Cadillac service departments linked by a central computer system - you pull into any dealer...and, by entering your VIN, he could tell you ALL the service/recalls/maintenance done by Cadillac dealers on your car and when it was done...wherever it has been...now only your local dealer can print out the service that only he has done to your Cadillac.

I've had the records pulled on my Caddy from the place I bought it, a Buick/pontiac/Jeep dealer, the Cadillac dealer where it is serviced and another Cadillac dealer when I was searching nabout this one and I got the same report from all 3 dealers. note the place of purchase "Was not" a Cadillac dealer.

Jim

Have cadillac make sure the people that represent them, treat the customer with respect. And just because their cars cost alot of money doesn`t mean that customers want to get hammered every time they go to the service department.

I would like to see the same warranty, just add 2 more years to it. I would for sure purchase a brank spanking new one.

Peace ByStorm :D

Yeah, if Kia, I think it is, can offer 10yr/100K warranty on a $15,000 ricer, GM should do the same on a $50,000 car. Now I know Guru has said there is a lot more to a Caddy than a Kia. That's not the point. I think the point is how much faith do you have in your product and what kind of quality do you put into it. He has also said, most of us did not pay $50,000 for the car. So what. They are warrantying the car, not the original owner. Also if you think about a car that has been purchased and traded 3 or 4 times through a dealer, think about how much profit that car has generated in 3 or 4 sales. Much more than the original purchase.

Yeah, if Kia, I think it is, can offer 10yr/100K warranty on a $15,000 ricer, GM should do the same on a $50,000 car. Now I know Guru has said there is a lot more to a Caddy than a Kia. That's not the point. I think the point is how much faith do you have in your product and what kind of quality do you put into it. He has also said, most of us did not pay $50,000 for the car. So what. They are warrantying the car, not the original owner. Also if you think about a car that has been purchased and traded 3 or 4 times through a dealer, think about how much profit that car has generated in 3 or 4 sales. Much more than the original purchase.

Yeah what he said....

ByStorm

While they’re at it, GM should make its entire parts database available on-line (complete with the exploded pictures of the car). This can only generate business for them and streamline the time it takes to service a customer at the parts counter. Up until the early 90' GM would publish parts books that most dealers would "sell" to their better customers (after they got a new set). I have had the parts books for almost every GM car that I (or my family) has ever owned (even my Allante!). However since 94 (I think) the parts lists are only on the GM computer or Microfilm. If they are worried about competitive issues I don't want/need prices. I know I'm going to pay a premium to buy at the dealer... This would just save me a trip to the dealer to try and buy a discontinued part and would save the parts manager 5 minutes of frustration trying to look it up.

Happy customers and fast and efficient staff. Isn't that everyone goal?

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I would like to see the same warranty,  just add 2 more years to it.  I would for sure purchase a brank spanking new one.

Peace ByStorm  :D

I would like to know what is really covered for 10 years/100,000 miles.....I'll bet is it not a bumper to bumper warranty.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You'll never see a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on a Northstar......GM would go into bankruptcy doing headgasket/timesert jobs for free.

As far as what will it take to get people to buy a new Caddy......they need reliability, at least equal to Honda and Toyota, styling that isn't butt ugly and a competent dealership network that isn't alway ready and willing to tear you off.

Let me restate the question a bit.

With the Cadillac catalog of vehicles as it is, and the independent dealer network in place, what type of online information and services would make you more likely to purchase a new Cadillac?

I think the suggestion of online parts catalogs and repair info accessible perhaps via mygmlink.com or similar is a good idea.

It would be a nice addition if all the repair records for my car from any Cadillac dealer likewise showed up on mygmlink.com.

Extra credit if I could see some indicator like 14% of cars of that year/model had that problem before the current mileage on my car, but that gets into market share issues I suppose.

I would like to hear more directly from the Cadillac design team and staff and more info on the trades they considered and made during design of the current cars.

I would like to see more brand loyalty perks. On my CTS I got a $1,500 discount because we also own a Honda. This because they want the CTS to appeal to brandX car owners I understand. But that would make more sense to me if I were rewarded equally for having owned a Cadillac. My selling dealer never came across with a grill emblem; maybe that type stuff should come from GM as an incentive for signing up on mygmlink or similar.

As an aside, I always thought Cadillacs should have even longer than their current 4 year 50k mile warranty. But when you consider that extended warranties are available to those who want to pay for them from GMPP up to 5 yrs 100k miles for around 5% of the cost of the car. So if you prefer a long warranty that is available.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

For the most part, yes. The front end, especially, on the new STS is horrible, and sales figures indicate I am not alone in my opinion. I work with a guy who had admired my mint condition '94 STS for years and as soon as his daughter was finished college at Yale, he was going to buy a new STS. Well, he got a look at the new model STS, and his plans changed immediately. He just picked up his new Chrysler 300C (Hemi model) and absolutely loves it. Another sale lost to poor styling...

Actually I do agree with you there about the front end. I believe the new STS looks to much like to much like the cheaper CTS, But they do look a little more sporty and modern than the previous years.

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Actually I do agree with you there about the front end. I believe the new STS looks to much like to much like the cheaper CTS, But they do look a little more sporty and modern than the previous years.

I also agree with that Yenko its a very good point I think that I'd buy a 2004 style before a 2005 well thats me anyways.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

You'll never see a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on a Northstar......GM would go into bankruptcy doing headgasket/timesert jobs for free.

IMHO Cadillac learnt first hand the cost of long term warrantees on high end vehicles and they are unlikely to ever do it again.

I bought my 90½ Allante in late 94 and was very impressed with its 7 year bumper to bumper warrantee. In the short 9 months that I had that car I racked up at least $3,000 in repairs… All non-drivertrain related (except for a cam position sensor)…An A/C leak, a new top, a Headlight squirter switch, power door lock motors (both doors), Driver seat release broke and the Bosch master cylinder went too (those are super expensive). In spite of all of this, I still remember it as the best car I have ever owned and driven.

I personally feel that this warrantee forced GM to kill the car in 93 (with a little help from a goofy build arrangement with Pininfarina)… It was just too expensive for GM to keep fixing these cars as they aged.

I would be very surprised if GM ever offers a bumper to bumper warrantee longer than 4 years without making the purchaser pay through the nose (ever price out a GMPP warrantee on a Cadillac?).

Or in one sentence…

If the Allante was good enough for a 7 year bumper to bumper, why is the XLR only good enough for a 4 year bumper to bumper?

caddy.jpg

Greg

Everyones taste is sure different I parked next to new 300 the other day and my wife said it first and i agreed with her its not a very good looking car, actually her words were a little stronger but I would like to be polite. Mike

I personnally like Cadillacs styling of the past 30 years or so.

I think it has very distinct styling that says Cadillac. If I were rich and they were showing my house and cars on a show like "MTV Cribs" they would see a fleet of cadillac cars of different years. And I would get the wife out of that '96 Jeep and put her in a Escalde.

I have not seen any new vehicle that over the past years I would be or am interested in, in my price range. So there you have it. I love Cadillac. There I said it...

:P

Peace, ByStorm

I personally feel that this warrantee forced GM to kill the car in 93 (with a little help from a goofy build arrangement with Pininfarina)… It was just too expensive for GM to keep fixing these cars as they aged.

Bbobynski stated in an earlier post that the Allante was dropped because the understructure was a modified '86-'91 Seville understructure. When the Seville was restyled for 1992, the understructure was completely different and GM finished out the last 1-1/2 years with banked parts. Once the bank was gone, the Allante was dropped.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would say put the leg room back in the STS. I am not old enough for the DeVille (just kidding guys). I'm 6'3" and the CTS had NO leg room for me to be comfortable. I took a new STS for a ride the other day and asked the guy if he is trying to re-badge a cts on me.

Now I am stuck buying an older one... Not a chance I would pay that kind of money for that "little" of a car. When are they redesigning them... again?

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Bbobynski stated in an earlier post that the Allante was dropped because the understructure was a modified '86-'91 Seville understructure. When the Seville was restyled for 1992, the understructure was completely different and GM finished out the last 1-1/2 years with banked parts. Once the bank was gone, the Allante was dropped.

Cool, I never knew that... This also explains the death in '92 of the Toronado...This also generates a bunch of questions... Like why introduce your new northstar engine in a lame-duck car... but never mind... The main question I have is:

Why GM warranted the Allante, its flagship, bumper to bumper for 7 years but its new flagship the XLR is only 4 years...

I guess this is why I could never work in Marketing....

caddy.jpg

Greg

The Northstar was introduced in the Seville STS, Eldorado Touring Coup and the Allante for the '93 model year.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think that GM needs to partner up more with their Cadillac service departments and to create more of a proud positive team environment. Bad apples, negative malcontents should be shown the front door. I can't tell you how much negative rhetoric you can get from the service people. Negative statements made to customers should be grounds for dismissal. If the service people are negative why should I buy their car? I think the quality of service, the service personel, and their attitudes needs correcting immediately. Cross selling, un-necessary repairs, and revenue generating BS should be dropped. Once you buy your car, the SERVICE DEPARTMENT is now the face of GM and its important for that face to be reputible, honest, and competent. GM should TEST the service departments randomly by putting a car with a KNOWN defect in for service to see the service departments in action. Poor, wrong, or shady performance/diagnosis should lead to immediate corrections (that can be wide ranging from dismissal, poor performance reviews, additional education, etc)

When I go to my dealer/service department, there is the bay where basic maintenance is performed and then there is a ROOM where they do MAJOR SURGERY, ie, dropping carriages, case half, head gaskets, etc. At all times there are 2 or 3 CADDIES gutted on the lift. Seeing 2 or 3 Caddies in this state is tramatic even for me! The guys that work in their are mal-contents that have long faces and dont hesititate to tell you how much the car sucks. This type of work is scary if you ask me and should NOT be done near public viewing. Those service people should be schooled as to how to act and present the work being done so as to not upset the customer or taint or damage the car's image and reputation. These are serious issues in my mind. The Northstar platform has matured over time and problems that cropped up have been ironed out. I have a friend whose son works as a mechanic in a Florida Cadillac dealer, I can not tell you how much damage HE alone has done to Cadillac's reputation and to the Northstar platform by badmouthing it! Pride, Teamwork, Competancy, Optimism, Customer Service need to be stressed. Other brands do this so well

Archived