CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Changing coolant this weekend

scottshoe

I am going to flush my coolant system this weekend (it has standard antifreeze in it!) and I seem to remember people talking about some sealant pills to add to the lower radiator hose... what are they and where can I get them? Dealer only? Does GM suggest them for the northstar? Just checking as I only want to do this once!!

Sorry, I mean drain and refill. I am also doing the trans filter and fluid as well as changing the oil. I am in the middle of a little experiment comparing conventional and synthetic oils (keeping track of usage and mileage, etc.) mostly doing it because so many "experts" told me it has no benefit (the synthetic that is). Thanks for the tips... Autozone "dude" had no idea what I was talking about! I will try Wal-mart and then go to the local dealer if I strike out there. :D

Wal-Mart usually stocks product "G12BP" (see http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html ).

And I hope you mean drain and refill as opposed to flush....

Two add a bit to the discussion... 2 tubes of the G12BP or all 6 pellets of the HDC.

Available at all the big stores and most of the local auto parts stores.

If you have a 4.9 or before they go right into the radiator at the cap. If you have a Northstar you remove one end of the top hose and put them in there. Don't worry about completely pulverizing the pellets. They turn to mush immediately upon contact with liquid.

FWIW

YMMV

DFB

Bars leak gold is acceptible, but I've heard that it is better to add to the lower hose instead. I hate to say it, but some dealers will tell you that you are goofy when you ask about this. If you have to do it yourself, than so be it. If it is the upper hose, than that is better than nothing in my opinion.

Bars leak gold is acceptible, but I've heard that it is better to add to the lower hose instead. I hate to say it, but some dealers will tell you that you are goofy when you ask about this. If you have to do it yourself, than so be it. If it is the upper hose, than that is better than nothing in my opinion.

My bad. Lower hose it is.

I seem to recall reading from the expert (Guru) that if a Dex-Cool system has been contaminated with the green stuff, you might as well keep using the green stuff because the silicates have already embedded themselves in the system and will still require you to change the coolant in 24K miles.

Charles

Charles

I seem to recall reading from the expert (Guru) that if a Dex-Cool system has been contaminated with the green stuff, you might as well keep using the green stuff because the silicates have already embedded themselves in the system and will still require you to change the coolant in 24K miles.

Yes, that's true. It's still recommended to use some sort of a system sealer (be it Bars Leak or GM pellets) regardless of the type of coolant. I prefer the GM tabs, especially since they're so cheap. Between $2.50-3.00 for a card (of 6).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Sine you have a 1997 car that uses Dex-Cool, I would not bother to put Bars Leak Gold or any other additive. Upper hose, lover hose, type of Bars Leak is for us who have older cars to worry about. Just replace the coolant with the new one, and that should do it.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

You know,if I were going to the trouble to change the coolant on one of these all aluminum high performance engines regardless of coolant type, I would add the Bars or tabs just for cheap insurance. As long as you get it in the correct orifice, it can’t hurt. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived