CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 DeVille coolant change: water flush or no?

MrMagoo

I'm pretty sure #13 is a seal similar to this one )which I know doesn't fit my car -- just here for illustration purposes).

http://www.amazon.com/Omix-Ada-17908-01-Heater-Core-Tube/dp/B000FQ1UV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440464908&sr=8-1&keywords=heater+core+seal

These are the two threads I've been reading in preparation for the surgery; both say little about the four foam seals, and one just says you might need to simply rinse them.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=28646&st=0&p=167025&fromsearch=1entry167025

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips-how-fix/84229-re-heater-core-replacemant.html

I know the ACDelco heater core comes with the four foam seals, because they're pictured with it. But, I don't want to replace it with something that has the same plastic tank, so I'm getting an aftermarket core. No seals are shown with it, so I'm trying to plan as if they're not included. I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise when it gets here tomorrow.

I just got this car a few weeks ago, and the first few times I ran the Econ setting, it smelled like bad fish. I did get a little bit of a musty smell from the A/C as well, but the fish smell was so strong on Econ that I didn't notice the A/C smell at first. I looked at the procedure for disinfecting the heater core, since it probably has mold or mildew on it, and replacing it seems more DIY-able, at least for me.

I got the drain-and-refill and the heater core exchange finished today, and so far, everything is peachy. The temp was usually around 210-225 around town, but I took the car on the highway for about a half hour and it stayed 180-190 the whole time. I'll stick a piece of cardboard under it in the driveway tomorrow, but I haven't seen a single leak. I changed the thermostat and radiator cap too while I was at it.

I had plenty of heat, so the heater core is working fine. The air coming in smells SO much cleaner, too. It hasn't been bad since that initial day or two of fish smell, but it's way better already. Even though the plastic tank on the OEM core wasn't cracked, I'm still glad I replaced it.

The only seals (presumably 7 and 8 on the diagram) were already attached to the heater core box, and they were in fine shape. #13 is on the engine side of the firewall; mine looked pretty cracked and shaggy, but best I can tell, it's just there to keep a little more air from getting in around the heater core tubes where they connect to the hoses. It would have been tricky to get out, and I really didn't have anything to replace it with, so I just left it.

Seriously -- thank you all for taking the time to help a newbie. I never imagined I'd ever be remotely able to work on a car, let alone mostly enjoying it!

Thats great that you got that done and it all worked out. Nothing like the satisfaction of doing your own. Congratulations. In today's world with you tube and forums etc.. it is much easier to learn on your own. There is still plenty of misinformation and video's that you need to sift through to make sure you have the correct info, but help is there.

Archived