CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tranny shifting sluggish in cold

Scotty

This topic was covered recently I think Marika posted a similar message. This morning was 16 degrees. I got into my car did not warm it up and put it into gear and it engaged slowly into reverse.

The first set of shifts were ok but when I stopped the second set of shifts was delayed and the tranny stayed in each gear longer than it normally would. The third set of shifts were fairly normal. Bbobynski noted that this could be low tranny fluid and or a bad o-ring or seal at the tranny filter. I do believe my tranny fluid was changed about a year before I got the car, but I am not sure if the filter was changed. Once the car warmed up all was fine. Going to check fluid now.. Why do they make checking the fluid so difficult?

I am on my way up to Westfield, Mass (about 250 miles) to pick up my son from college... Wish me luck, have a good day, Mike

Duh, just checked the fluid and it was about 2 quarts low. WOW. Didnt ever register on the stick. I will need to look into this asap..

There's a leak somewhere. Find it ASAP, the tranny is nothing to mess with.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Thanks, I will, I was seeing wetness around the tranny pan when I change the oil, but it seemed to go away. I will look it over, I am afraid it may be coming from the side pan, how hard is that to change the gasket on? Anyone? I am anxious to see how it is in the morning.

Just got back from the trip the car ran great, 410 total miles, 22.6 MPG, not bad.. Mike

Thanks, I will, I was seeing wetness around the tranny pan when I change the oil, but it seemed to go away. I will look it over, I am afraid it may be coming from the side pan, how hard is that to change the gasket on? Anyone? I am anxious to see how it is in the morning.

Just got back from the trip the car ran great, 410 total miles, 22.6 MPG, not bad.. Mike

I don't think it's hard to change the gasket I think applying the proper torque in the correct sequence is more important.

My transmission pan was all wet as well but we discovered it was not leaking. The two high pressure cooling lines are leaking on my car and apparently as it drips down the lines it sprays backwards all over the underside of the car, landing mostly on the pan so it makes you think the pan is leaking. Check your lines carefully and especially look upwards between the frame and the radiator on the driver's side to see if you can spot any wetness on the lines before you go tearing into the transmission pan.

The mechanic got the two lines in today and hopefully will be installing them on Friday. We were both surprised when they arrived; we were expecting two pieces of rubber hose and instead, got the entire assembly which includes pre-bent pipes attached to the hoses. The mechanic got the parts from the stealership and ordered them based on the VIN of the car so hopefully they are the right parts. Total cost for parts, $60 for the two lines.

Good luck.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Scotty I am not the trans man, but I can add this. Way back when, long ago, when I was in college, I took a class on automatic transmissions. I remember the teacher preaching to us just how important is was to keep the tranny full at all times, and anything less than full was more harmful to a trans than say being a quart low on oil. My advice to you is simply to keep the trans full at all times until you can fix that leak. Good luck Caddy brother!

Scotty, the side pan is a pain to remove if you've never done it. There is a section in the archives on removing it to change the VSS sensor. I have just done it replacing my tranny oil pump. NOt so bad once you get into though.

Scotty I am not the trans man, but I can add this. Way back when, long ago, when I was in college, I took a class on automatic transmissions. I remember the teacher preaching to us just how important is was to keep the tranny full at all times, and anything less than full was more harmful to a trans than say being a quart low on oil. My advice to you is simply to keep the trans full at all times until you can fix that leak. Good luck Caddy brother!

Oh I agree, I was stunned to find the tranny that low believe me, I will be watching the level much more carefully now. Oddly however the tranny was fine until the cold morning delay. Thanks

Scotty, the side pan is a pain to remove if you've never done it. There is a section in the archives on removing it to change the VSS sensor. I have just done it replacing my tranny oil pump. NOt so bad once you get into though.

Thanks, I need to spend a weekend under the hood soon... I keep getting Service Emissions code, this leak now, front struts, and ball joints, the list keeps getting longer.... Mike

Scotty,

Today and tomorrow look like peak days to work on the car 47°today and dry. Tomorrow 54° and wet lol. But I'll take 54° and wet this time of year. Perhaps another Indian Summer? LOL

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Scotty,

Today and tomorrow look like peak days to work on the car 47°today and dry. Tomorrow 54° and wet lol. But I'll take 54° and wet this time of year. Perhaps another Indian Summer? LOL

My problem is actually finding the time to get out there.... I need to clean out the garage and pull it in at some point that will probably happen when in the dead of the winter...

Side cover leaks on these transmissions are pretty rare, I think. I would look over the cooler lines, before starting to remove anything else.

There are two transmission cooler lines on the left side of the engine compartment, going to the radiator. I would carefully check them from end to end.

Before starting try spraying the whole area down with Westley's Bleche Wite Tire Cleaner, allow to it for a few minutes then use a garden hose, with sprayer, to blow off accumulated dirt,grease and oil. It will be much easier to track down the leak afterward

Check tightness at the end connections.

The hoses can get in a position, between the side cover (and other sharp edges) and the inner panels, where the hose insulation can be vibrated through. Often times they will only leak when in gear, under load; at first.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Side cover leaks on these transmissions are pretty rare, I think. I would look over the cooler lines, before starting to remove anything else.

There are two transmission cooler lines on the left side of the engine compartment, going to the radiator. I would carefully check them from end to end.

Before starting try spraying the whole area down with Westley's Bleche Wite Tire Cleaner, allow to it for a few minutes then use a garden hose, with sprayer, to blow off accumulated dirt,grease and oil. It will be much easier to track down the leak afterward

Check tightness at the end connections.

The hoses can get in a position, between the side cover (and other sharp edges) and the inner panels, where the hose insulation can be vibrated through. Often times they will only leak when in gear, under load; at first.

-George

Thanks George, do these hoses have pressure fittings on the end or are they like the old oil cooler lines and have O-RINGS? Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay I was out shopping.

I believe the transmission cooler lines are all standard compression fitting ends. They take about a 20 lb. torque to seal.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Scotty,

Today and tomorrow look like peak days to work on the car 47°today and dry.  Tomorrow 54° and wet lol.  But I'll take 54° and wet this time of year.  Perhaps another Indian Summer?  LOL

My problem is actually finding the time to get out there.... I need to clean out the garage and pull it in at some point that will probably happen when in the dead of the winter...

I don't think I need to mention this but will anyway.

If you put the car in the garage to work on it, DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE WITH THE GARAGE DOOR CLOSED.

Nuf said.

HA ya when it comes to replacing a transmission on these cars I don't even want to know what the cost would be? Does any one know what the cost is to get a trans installed into a 94 STS? Im guessing its not cheap like 4 or 5 k just a guess though maybe even more.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I don’t know if its necessary to replace a tranny with a new one, you can have it rebuilt by a knowledgeable and reputable shop for about $1,800. But the key word there is knowledgeable and reputable!!!!

Archived