CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Off Topic - Separate Forum or Less of it?

How should we handle Off Topic posts?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. How should we handle Off Topic posts?

• Open a separate Forum for Off-Topic posts
    • Leave Off-Topic Posts in the main forum but add OT in subject
    • Close/Delete Off Topic posts and keep the board Cadillac only
    • Other - Add Comments

We have had more off-topic posts lately. I prefer that the discussion stay on Cadillacs and not on brandXs or hunting, but I also try to be understanding. Some offtopic discussion helps build a sense of community, which is good.

One suggestion is to have a separate forum for off-topic posts (like Cadillac, For Sale, Admin, OffTopic). What I don't want is to support an offtopic section that outpaces the Cadillac discussions. There are tons of other web sites with forums on other topics that one can go to discuss whatever.

So I think the choices are as above, but feel free to pick "other" and let us know your ideas if you see another solution. The second choice is the 'leave it the way it is don't change nothing' choice.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I was recently guilty of this with my Monte Carlo. I did mark it OT. This is a Cadillac forum however. What happens is that you run into a problem and this board is such a great resource that it kind of makes sense to throw the question out there. My question regarding bogging in a Chevy was answered by many knowledgable people that have guided me though the diagnosis routine and it has been extremely helpful but its not a Cadillac. My Chevy problem has many aspects that we run into with the Caddy's like fuel pump failures/diagnosis and missing platinum pads on the AC plugs and I have learned a lot on the Chevy problem that I can apply to my Caddy. I will follow what ever course the board takes... Mike

Bruce:

I voted "Other..." because: If the topic is automobile related, I am interested in the solution if only for mind fodder. If the topic is GM automobile related, I will be even more interested because of the makeup of the "extended family" fleet.

Any topic can lead to an interesting exchange of ideas and experiences, even those that wander far off the original topic. And most folks posting and / or reading here usually have some connection to cars by Cadillac.

I am here daily to learn. Which reminds me, it is time to make another contribution toward the overhead.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I chose "other, add comments". I would like the board to remain strickly Cadillac but, I hope this poll would warn some of us that we are risking the integrity of the forum .

My future vote would be to strickly keep it a Cadillac forum.

Lets just stay on course.

Peace and Merry Christmas to all B)

ByStorm

I would hope that we could be open minded enough to be able to ask questioins and get answers to non-cad cars. I personally am on my third Cadillac but the ol' lady loves her ford 4x4 trucks. I know that if I am stumped, I can ask here and some people do know mechanics outside of cadillacs.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Bruce, this maybe one of those deals where you have to exercise administrator's discretion. Some off topic posts are issues of traffic accidents and the law, national highway system speed limits, new government CAFE standards, and other automobile related trivia that may be of interest to participants on any automotive forum. Others may be borderline, and still others may actually "pole vault" way outside anything relevant to Cadillac, or automotive subject matter. A recent discussion on the national and state do not call registries springs to mind (I must admit that I even had a post on that one). I'd suggest maybe letting the nearly pertinent and borderline stuff remain, but close down the "pole vaulters" so that we can all keep our eye on the ball.

Anyone remember the old board? From what I can remember almost EVERY post was a technical post. Day after day the board would be replenished with a wealth of knowledge, knowledge specifically related to the ultimate luxury car: the Cadillac. However since the arrival of the new board things have changed:There is a plethora of new members, Posts are no longer confined to technical questions, and off topic and after market addition posts occur with great frequency. I now spend time searching for posts of people in need of technical help. Don't get me wrong, I do read and respond to other posts, the majority of which contain valuable information. But I would personally enjoy separate forums for the three main categories: Technical,OT and stereo/alarm/after market. I have seen other site's create to many sections/boards; they seem to run into problems because there are simply to many boards to browse and posts aren't responded to. So I would vote to create the least amount of boards possible. I think the above 3 would work well, but im by no means an expert (on anything). Recently I have noticed my interest dwindling as the board gets filled with more and more off topic posts (I like off topic posts but I favor technical/help posts) . That being said I will never leave this board. It has helped me with so much over the past few years I almost feel guilty posting somewhere else. I hope I don't come off as an arrogant a$$hole (b/c im not). Its just I've been thinking about this subject for a while.

A.J.

I'd like to see a separate forum for off-topic posts, but if it were my world, I'd keep it to automotive discussions only. I think it's incredibly difficult (for me) to sort through posts quickly in the main forum when there are "OT" posts scattered throughout. I think the main forum area should remain Cadillac only. Theoretically, that's why we're here, and that's the forum which should receive the VAST majority of the posts.

But having said that, I'm a car guy at heart (like many of us are), and I think we've developed enough of a collective friendship where it might be appropriate for an "Other Automotive" forum. Many OT posts do have a Cadillac relevance. Asking about a brake problem on a 2002 Monte Carlo for instance might have a whole lot to do with a brake problem on a 2002 Seville...because the brakes are pretty much of the same design, etc. Folks might have solutions to problems of "Off topic" nature that might actually be applicable to someone with a Cadillac, down the road.

For that reason, I'm in favor of an "Other Automotive" forum. It doesn't even have to be technical questions...it can be something like, "hey, I'm thinking of buying a minivan in the future, who here has one who would care to comment?" Or..."hey, I just drove an 18-wheeler today!" Or something else that's automotive related but not necessarily of a Cadillac topic. This would provide a means for the regulars here to further develop friendships and "bonds", but would allow those who are only interested in technical details, or those who came about the site looking for a particular answer, a way to get that quickly and without sifting through OT posts.

Thanks for opening this up for discussion, Bruce.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I voted to keep it as it is. And now after a couple days of thinking about it I wish i hadn't. I became a paying member because I thought it fair to contribute to be able to access a wealth of Cadillac related information. It's a priviledge and not a right. I first came to this board to get information, not to chat about border line topics or OT. The Old Board was better at this purpose. If I were searching for a Cadillac discussion board today I'm not so sure I would be impressed with this board. There is an obscene amount of clutter in the main and I'll admit I have contributed to it as have others.

I don't think other vehicles (fords, bmw, chryslers,etc) should be on this board either. My fiance has a ford and when it has a problem I don't bring it here. I go to a Ford discussion board. When I'm suffering from the flu I don't ask my dentist about it. Pretty simple. It just adds to the clutter.

All I know is that "as it is" things are heading in the wrong direction and I feel silly paying for it. With some tweaking I'm confident this ship can be righted and returned to it's once majestic form. I'm sure there are those that will scoff at what I'm saying or implying. And to those I ask only this. Step away from the board for a week and when you return take a look. Not a pretty site (no pun intended). And while you're getting over your disgust try using the search feature and see the nonsense you have to read through to get to any relevant information.

Many of us, after some time, have bonded to other members and to this site and it's easy to see why the OT and borderline topics have flourished. With that said perhaps an OT room is in order but I too fear that it will out pace the Cadillac discussion. Maybe only paying members should be allowed OT posts? At least the paying members have a stake in what happens. I'm sure I'm not going to make any new friends after this but I am quite sure that it needed to be said.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

With one or two notable exceptions I stay with the Caddy issues. I'm not a paying member so my opinion is just that. I have, in the past and have one I'm working on now, contributed articles and some technical advice simply because I like to help others as I was helped. Since I'm not a paying member I figure those things make up for the lack of funding.

I'd keep the board Caddy - there are a ton of other places to gab and visit. Not that we don't gab a bit here but our talk is mainly centered on the Caddy.

If you do opt to add an "OT" section I'd suggest a filter that a person could turn on that would eliminate any topics that have the "OT" label for that viewer. It would add to the Admin's burden a bit in that you guys would have to watch for mislabeled items and add the OT to it -

Just my .01 worth

Steve

I don't mind occasional Off Topic Posts, especially if they are from our regular members. All of us have interesting items or personal news we would like to share from time to time. We also have the option of ignoring a post if the subject doesn't sound interesting. Spam, of course, should be deleted immediately! This is a great forum and I would opt to leave it alone for now. I check it two or three times a day, don't read everything (on or off topic), reply when I have something of value to add, but I always enjoy logging on.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I don't mind occasional Off Topic Posts, especially if they are from our regular members. All of us have interesting items or personal news we would like to share from time to time. We also have the option of ignoring a post if the subject doesn't sound interesting. Spam, of course, should be deleted immediately! This is a great forum and I would opt to leave it alone for now. I check it two or three times a day, don't read everything (on or off topic), reply when I have something of value to add, but I always enjoy logging on.

I think this sums up my feelings on the topic exactly......keep it the way that it is, or maybe, a seperate off topic area, but I thinnk the occasional Off Topic post makes this board great!

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. This topic spunds VERY familair to a thread I started a couple months ago....LOL

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...49&hl=off+topic

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I think there should be a separate forum of OT posts. I don’t think they should be totally eliminated because often they are about personal matters that members like to share. I don’t find anything wrong with that; in fact it brings a personal/family like atmosphere that is nice. However, I don’t want an off topic forum overshadowing the purpose for this forum, which is discussion of Cadillac related issues. Once an off topic forum opens, it will like be construed as an open invitation for who knows what.

This message board has been a little dissapointing

as of late. I still drop by nearly evey day, but the

urge is dwindling. We're here to pick up Caddilac

facts not useless, almost childish trivia i.e. "Good

Crusin' Songs" (no offense Aaron just trying to make

a point)). There seem to be more posts lately about

getting an extra horespower or mufflers than anything

else. We're talking about Cadillacs, not hot-rods. An OT

here and there is OK, even a question on another

make (as long as it's not a Ford, hee hee). But let's

stick to the facts and help one another fix and

maintain our cars. Rant off.

I'd like to see a separate forum for off-topic posts, but if it were my world, I'd keep it to automotive discussions only. I think it's incredibly difficult (for me) to sort through posts quickly in the main forum when there are "OT" posts scattered throughout. I think the main forum area should remain Cadillac only. Theoretically, that's why we're here, and that's the forum which should receive the VAST majority of the posts.

I voted "other" and I believe that JAdcock has got it right. I started on the old board 3 years ago and was really impressed with the targeted Cadillac knowledge that was located there. While this new board is great and contains a lot of new tools and goodies(posting pics, profile info, etc...) I have been increasingly disappointed in the seemingly lower amount of straight Cadillac talk that has been taking place.

That said, I realize that in a community environment we all benefit from other people's experiences so OT posts, as long as automobile related, are indeed a benefit. However, I feel they should occupy another section like the For Sale, Admin, etc...

Final vote: Automobile related OT posts, but in their own section.

Just my 2 cents.

-Brad

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

OT posts don't bother me but I think they should be clearly marked as such. All such posts should be prefixed with "OT" so that those who are interested in posts solely devoted to Caddies can skip over them. I also think topic headings should be germane to the topic. If the topic is "'96 Deville upholstery" it should be headlined as such and not something like "my conundrum". Clever is fine in general discussion boards. Not here. Knowledgeable and smart are good here.

I think this should be handled intenallly, by the regulars. If some lady who has 5 posts starts asking about other makes, she should get her response but also reminded that this is a Caddy site as well. If Bruce, Scotty, or Guru askes about a Plymouth per se, I'm going to answer them. They have been there for me with Caddy's, and to an extent, I've been there for other Caddy owners as well, regardless of make or model. Few of us have a garage of 100 percent Caddy's, but the regulars should garner more leeway than the rookies. It is the regulars that make this site, and are the same ones who help the rookies become regulars themselves.

The fact that we now talk about radar detectors, how fast we drive, what aftermarket parts are available, and all that stuff is a bonus in this man's eyes. The way a Caddy owner uses these things is entirely different than someone who owns a crotch rocket, a Japanese burner, or a limo for example. I want to hear what a Caddy owner thinks of 22 inch wheels rather than a guy who owns a 77 Impala.

I am open to the idea of separate listings for tech, aftermarket, and the like, but I am against a different link for non Caddy related questions. If we create that link then many die hards wll never read these posts that they might have good knowledge of. That would also create a new group of non Caddy owners, and therfore increase the non Caddy related questions. If you want to keep this site as Caddy related as possible, do not create a separate forum for them, just let the regulars take care of business.

We're talking about Cadillacs, not hot-rods.

Wellllllllllll hold on here, I can not afford a 95 Camaro, T/A, Mustang, etc., that is why I have a list of Cadillacs. My Cadillac to me is my hot rod when I'm behind the wheel listening to Led Zepplin - Rock and Roll. They are cheaper, ride better and can fit more than one passenger. I love seeing people post their videos of their Dynomax mufflers and the acronym of Cadillac. Off-topics grow the board and a person's relationship with their car, talking strictly about problems all the time would send me to the Auto Trader with a picture and price in hand.

I vote for off-topics to be kept but put into a separate forum, therefore I can still know which mufflers to put onto my 95 Eldorado and have a deep, throaty note.

Spence

We're talking about Cadillacs, not hot-rods.

Wellllllllllll hold on here, I can not afford a 95 Camaro, T/A, Mustang, etc., that is why I have a list of Cadillacs. My Cadillac to me is my hot rod when I'm behind the wheel listening to Led Zepplin - Rock and Roll. They are cheaper, ride better and can fit more than one passenger. I love seeing people post their videos of their Dynomax mufflers and the acronym of Cadillac. Off-topics grow the board and a person's relationship with their car, talking strictly about problems all the time would send me to the Auto Trader with a picture and price in hand.

I vote for off-topics to be kept but put into a separate forum, therefore I can still know which mufflers to put onto my 95 Eldorado and have a deep, throaty note.

Spence

Good point Spence. A seperation of OT and relevant Cadillac topics is a good idea. I'm a frequent visitor to the site so keeping up with the constantly changing posts isn't too difficult. But if I'm away for a few days then Whoa! I used to be the occasional visitor on the old board and when I did visit I found it easy to access helpful information (very little clutter). Currently I am here often and I do enjoy many of the OT subjects. A nice departure from the "bare bones" cadillac discussions, relatively speaking. But let's be honest. If I were still the occassional visitor and had to sift through all the OT topics I'm sure I would find myself saying something like "ugh...these people have waaaaaay too much free time on their hands". I might be wrong but I think the majority of this boards members are occassional visitors. I don't think they appreciate reading through OT topics like, "What kind of dental floss do you use while driving your caddy?" to get to say stabilizer link information. I sure wouldn't. By the way that Glide floss is awesome! :lol:

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum in the last few weeks, so I'd like to offer a view about what attracted me here.

I work on my own cars because (like many of you) I hate giving it to a mechanic I don't know - which will invariably require me to make two or three trips back to make them get it right.

The technical knowledge that is contained among the good users of this forum is the main asset. It is a great teacher for those of use that have not pulled our caddys down to the nuts and bolts - yet. Avoiding the "surprises" that come with making certain repairs on our car for the first time is a very wonderful benefit - thanks to the technical discussions that occur here.

I'd vote for having OT's posted in a separate forum because the specific Cadillac technical knowledge is what brought me here and it's where I will share my technical experiences. Too many OT items push the specific questions and requests for info to subsequent pages where they are less likely to be answered.

Don't get me wrong, I see some good relationships in the e-mail exchanges and I also have interest in OT subjects, but watering down the technical aspects are not good for the main intent of the forum.

Whats the big deal theres no reason why there can't be off-topic posts is there Bruce? As long as people keep on marking them as off topic. I don't like readig the O-T posts so I just ignore them but people on this site probly like to hear about that kind of stuff.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I voted for separate OT posts forum.

Caddyinfo forum has special feel of community, warm and nice because we talk not just about cadillacs. I noticed that comparing it to other cadillac forum. And in the same time it will be just easier to find what you need if it will be better organized. I think it still be fine if it will have separate forum for OT. We still can save this "family" feel in our cadillac related postings, right? It still depends of HOW we write our postings.

Archived