CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Idler

Okay I got my 94 STS in September and It was always idleing incorectly when the car was running cold it would idle at about 2500 RPM then after 2-5 minutes it would settle down to like 700 RPM or where it should be. Then one day I went out to start the car and left it idleing for like 15 min it never acted up again. Until about 4 days ago I went out to start it and it was doing it again so I left it running for 15 min and you guessed it no problems. I was wondering does anyone know whats wrong with this? Is there a way to set the idler? I need any help from u guys thanks....

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

2500 seems awfully high for a warm up cycle. The ISC motor will keep it idling a little higher during warm up but I have never had one idle that high.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Idle speed control motor. Should be mounted on the side of the T/B (throttle body). It has a bolt sticking out of the bottom that pushes on the throttle lever to control idle speed. Do not simply adjust the bolt. Search for the proper proceedure in the archives. It is a little more involved than just turning the bolt in or out as I recall.

Alright I guess I could check into that but I just thought it was kind of weird that it fixes itsef just because the car was running for 15min?

user posted image

It does make some adjustments based in information from the PCM. Check the archives. Guru has some very good posts about checking, adjusting and replacing it if neccassary it.

Okay then but im just saying that I was really surprised that the thing idles fine just because it was running for 10 or 15 min. I have a parts car I might just grab it off that.

user posted image

Is your parts car the same color inside and out, because that would be awsome. What year is the parts car that you have and did you by your car smashed or something.

You know that the funny thing is its identical to my car interior exterior but the engines blown on it so that why it was so cheap. I already took off my faded wood grain and replaced it I also took the performance tires off it I sold a pair of fog lights to a buddy of myn. Also I'm getting the idle thing and I got my LED brakelight off it and one of my taillights was fogged just grabbed it off that. Its a good investment if you can find one at the right price like I did (800 dollars).

user posted image

Dang $800 - I'd do that in a heartbeat! That's awesome!

Steve

Thanks I see lots of older 93 94 sts's with blowen engines for around 800-1200 dollars just go to the used car auctions in Boston!

user posted image

Sounds like you have everything under control. (Lots of spare parts)

A few years ago I had a similar problem with the idle.

I removed the ISC and took it apart.

I found the problem.

When the accelerator is released it hits the plunger which depresses and closes a set of points inside the ISC.

This tells the computer/ISC that the accelerator is released and that the computer needs to control the idle speed. The speed is controlled by a motor in the ISC.

What was happening was the points were closing, however they were not closing firmly enough to make a good electrical connection. The computer/ISC didn't know to go to the idle mode.

I cleaned and adjusted the points and it's been working since.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

• 2 weeks later...

I took the isc motor off the parts car today took 2 hours. I will be putting it on the car tommorow. Thanks i'll report back if it fixes the problem or not.

user posted image

Today I changed the motor but at first it was making this weird noise and the isc motor was clicking in and out but then I took it for a 45 minute drive and it seems to be fine car is idleing great as well. Thanks.

user posted image

IS the idle sensor a common problem with these cars? I know someone else with a 95 that had to get theres replaced and someone with a 97? Just wondering.

user posted image

Did you adjust it properly according to the manual?

Things wear out, you are talking about 94, 95 and 97 vintage cars. THAT SAID, sometimes they are replaced when all they needed was to be adjusted correctly. I assume you adjusted yours correctly!

Archived