CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OT Oil pressure is reading high

The girlfried has an 83 Ford F150 4X4 with the 300CI I6 and a manual transmission. The trans is from a 76 Ford. Anyway, after replacing the thermostat, there was no heat in the truck at all. And when you are going down the highway (70mph-75mph), the truck will start reading a high water temp and high oil pressure, but they will drop back down some if you slow down. Also, when it is first started (cold) it will read a high oil pressure even while driving at the city speeds (25mph-30mph)...but will read in the normal after it has gotten warmed up.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

That could be a bad pressure regulator in the oil pump, or the filter adapter -- wherever that spring is in the system.

An idea Bruce -- can we create an "Off Topic Discussion" forum on this site? I think that it would be good to keep Cadillac stuff the main focus (obviously), but we're at the point where a lot of us have developed enough of a friendship to be able to help each other on non-Cadillac items. Some of these topics are also applicable to Cadillacs -- even if someone doesn't happen to have that particular problem now.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Well, I guess that she can drive it til it drops. I did not know that a oil pump could regulate the heat. Is it causing the motor to not get hot?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Well, I guess that she can drive it til it drops. I did not know that a oil pump could regulate the heat. Is it causing the motor to not get hot?

The oil pump can regulate the oil pressure. It could be the spring is weak under loads or high heat or something like that. It's normal for oil pressure to be higher in colder temperatures (before the engine warms up). From the way it sounds, the thermostat is actually not working...it sounds like it's either not in place or stuck open.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

An idea Bruce -- can we create an "Off Topic Discussion" forum on this site? I think that it would be good to keep Cadillac stuff the main focus (obviously), but we're at the point where a lot of us have developed enough of a friendship to be able to help each other on non-Cadillac items. Some of these topics are also applicable to Cadillacs -- even if someone doesn't happen to have that particular problem now.

My concern is that the Offtopic might outpace the Cadillac discussion. I know on one site I pass through sometimes, they ended up with huge server bills and having to beg all the time for contributions, but have a burgening offtopic section running. I don't want that here.

But I'm open if an off-topic forum would help.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived