CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Where do you run your car fast?

gygmy

Ever since I've bee a teenager I've been pretty good at not being busted for speeding. I am not saying I've been a saint but now we have a car that should go 150 mph+. I've taken the car over 100 mph. but I get a bit scared to go up that next 50 mph. Where do you do your high speed driving?

Im only sixteen and I've got alot to lose if I get cauaght but I just go down the old country cross roads. I only had my 94 STS to about 125 MPH thats my limit. If I could find the right road that was nice and wide with little amount of turning I think I would let it go till the car quit though.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

That's a tough one...to do it right. (Safely). When I've chosen a road for very high speed runs in one of my cars it was inspected thoroughly by me prior to opening it up. Road condition, visibility, weather conditions and traffic volume...should be none. There is no way when I've done a top end run that it was going to endanger anyone but me. Period.

Given that, there are a few roads in the Northern Ca. Sierra foothills, on both the west (my) and the east side that meet my criteria. Long, flat, open wide roads where you can see in both directions for a few miles, and be certain there will be no cross traffic. (Ranch land, mostly.)

Over the years I've spun up a few motors on these open roads with no problems. The STS's (that came with the 'Z' rated tires from the factory) will climb pretty well right up to 140 and begin hitting 'the wall.' I've had mine (a '93 and a 2000) make it to around 145, but I don't think any of them will hit 150 without a tail wind or a little downhill.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Well, in Nevada - just leave town... :D

The town a half-hour east of us has several "Pony Express" races from their two lane, nice, straight blacktop that runs 90-miles to the next town with virtually NOTHING between. They have volunteers guard a half-dozen cross/ranch roads for the day - and its their private race course. Some cars run the course in less than 30-minutes and top out well over 200-mph.

Just an hour west of us is the Black Rock desert - where the land speed record was set. B)

Face it,

Having a car that can run 150 on a wide open road while living out East is like having a a monster audio system in an apartment building. Sure - it sounds great at low levels and all - but you can never really "open it up" without causing a whole lot of trouble :(

Street racing in general is just plain stupid (simply too much population and potential problems).

At least out here if you drill a smok'in hole in the ground there is a good chance that you won't take anyone else with you.

Keep in mind that running over just 125 for 15-20 minutes can be a bit tiresome and hard on the eyes on a two lane road with fence posts and all buzzing along.

Just accept that the STS will do 150 or close enough for who's counting. ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

That's awfully fast. However there are some flat ... real flat spots ... out in the plain states where you should be able to let er' rip. For those out in the monument valley area as I remember there are some long straight stretches but they were two lane (one lane in each direction).

For those that live on the east coast and have never driven in the wide open, there is just no comparision.

Be carefull out there!

Jim

I agree with Bob and his approach. I have not pegged the speedo because I pussed out at 143. I have read that the 01 is documented @ 150, and based on that run, I have no doubt that the 01 will do 150. (In a convestation about the stunt, someone asked me what was the tach reading. I'll tell you what it was reading: It said, "Don't be looking at me you s/m/f! Watch the road. My best guess based on the sound of the engine, it was in the neighborhood of 4.8k to 5.8k, possibly 6k or a hair over.)

You hear people talk the big talk, but it's different when you're behind the wheel. Maybe if you have a 4 to 6 lane highway, the senstation is different, but on the highway--an excellent slab for high speed driving--I tried it, I don't mind saying that I started to get a little nervous. Maybe if I would have rolled up the windows and closed the sunroof, the ride may not have bothered me. With the windows down and the sunroof open, however. 143 is quite the experaince.

The problem with super slabs is that you don't own the road. There are cross streets, animals--can anyone say deer?--and other hazards that are instant death for everyone. Let's not even talk about cops, who would probally haul your @$$ off to jail and impound your car.

The slab of highway highlited in green is probally one of the safest places to give it whatever you dare. It's brand new, very stickey pavement, and there is nothing around. It's sorunded by acres of clear land, so the the chances of animals is minimual. Also, it's flat and wide open, with clear vanishing points on either horizion. I have no clue how far radar reaches, buy you do have vanishing points on both horizions, allowing you ample time, for the only obstical hazard--another moving car.

The thing that makes it an interseing ride is that it's a 2 lane highway, with 6 inch shoulders. Unless of courese, you're an iditon, you can talk all the big talk you want, but if you have a half ounce of common sense, you'll probally want to start to straddle the center line as you approach the low 90's. (It's a quality slab of asphault, but you don't have lots of room for error, and at that speed, there is no room for error. You will want to run the area at normal speed to inspect the area.)

I live just south of Baltimore MD, and the area is in Deleware. I found the area by mistake because I was going to my mother's and had to p!$$ like a race horse. I took #36 to slaughter beach because I figured that I could wizz somewhere there. There is no place to wizz at Salughter Beach, and if you notice, the highlited road continues on past s/b.

I drove along that road, eyeballs floating, realizing that it was so isloated I could wiss in the middle of the road. I stopped dead in the street and wizzed. That's when it dawned on me that this spot was the best spot I have ever encountered, whereby one could pull off such a stunt safely--of course if you can call pulling off such a stunt as something that can be done safely.

Because I had already traveled a ways on the road, and knew what the return trip had to offer, I K-turned, and let it rip. Another thing I want to add is that now that I have hit 143, I really don't have the need to see 150. Maybe if there was a legitmate way that I could do so, I might be game.

Come on guys it's f/ing nuts to drive like that on the street. If something inside screams that you have to do it, I guess you have to get it out of your system because it will gnaw on you forever if you don't. The thing is once you have taken it to the limit, or the puss-out speed as I did, it's insane to drive like on a regular basis. (Jmo! Then again, I'm a fairly intellegent person, and when you factor in the latent hazards with the leagle conqunces, it's just not worth it as part of your daily street racing.)

post-3-1103521567.jpg

If you don't mind traveling to NY, there is a stretch of the Adirondack Northway ( Interstate 87 ) beyond exit 21 ( Lake George ) where there are no cross accesses because they cut through the mountains at their lower points.

It's about 8 miles long and you don't have to worry about deer. It is relatively straight with mild curves ( It was built to accomodate a 95mph speed by the DOT ). It is 2 lanes each way but you have to look out for breakdowns as the shoulders are small.

What you will find at either end of these strips is a welcoming radar trap to ruin your euphoria so don't test the limits. If you are truly interested let me know your email address and I will give you the exact parameters.

An added bonus or disadvantage is that cell phones hardly work there due to the restrictions of the Adirondack Park Agency on towers, nor do the roadside wireless phones by DOT due to budget cuts. So if you blow an engine you might have to wait for a routine patrol. If you blow a tire you won't have any problem because you will probably be a small spot on a big rock.

Like the famous last words of all rednecks, "Hey y'all, watch this!"

If you live near a race track, sometimes they have club days or offer track time. Even on a high speed oval type of track you won't get much over 140 though in the simulations I have seen.

Otherwise, look for a local car club that might have track days or weekends, and would appreciate company. Often they setup handling courses versus high speed courses, though, as the high speed courses are SO hard on the cars.

One my one higher speed CTS run I pulled up aggressively at highway speed next to a Ford Lightning, so he raced off at 140+ mph. My speed limiter validation at 130 mph was uneventful.

In some states they will confiscate your car, cancel your license, and place you in jail for street racing. Other states will actually destroy your car for street racing (California?). This takes a lot of the fun out of it. Better to enjoy the car and follow the posted speed limits.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hey all,

With all this talk about high speed driving...

My son has a friend with a new GTO...

Went to the dealer for service and the technition pulled him aside and

said he wasn't supposed to tell him but;

the computer showed he had broken 100 mph 5 times and

130 mph twice.

The car only had 500 miles on it!

The tech said if he did it again it would void his warrenty...

Truth?

Hey all,

With all this talk about high speed driving...

My son has a friend with a new GTO...

Went to the dealer for service and the technition pulled him aside and

said he wasn't supposed to tell him but;

the computer showed he had broken 100 mph 5 times and

130 mph twice.

The car only had 500 miles on it!

The tech said if he did it again it would void his warrenty...

Truth?

Absolutely...Since '93 cars have 'black boxes' on board that can be downloaded with all sorts of telemetry about driving history. They started as an adjunct to airbags, but have evolved to a mutli-tasked unit. One of my son's is an engineer for a company in the SFO bay area that specializes in these units. The amount of info that they can collect on your driving habits, and paticularly the moments before a crash in remarkable. My son testifies in court as an "expert witness", sometimes for the planitiff, sometimes for the defense....

user posted image

Relly but I just didnt think that they would just hook it up at the dealership wen you take your car in for service? Does every dealer do this on every car or is it just because a GTO is so capible of doing those speeds? Its the first I ever heard of that.

user posted image

Relly but I just didnt think that they would just hook it up at the dealership wen you take your car in for service? Does every dealer do this on every car or is it just because a GTO is so capible of doing those speeds? Its the first I ever heard of that.

I think they might download a customer's driving telemetry just for entertainemnt. ;)

Think about it...anything they can do to relieve themselves of liability, they're going to do, paticullarly in a warranty situation.

Be advised, rental agencies can, and do this too...

user posted image

"Where do you run your car fast?"

I don't. Not many places to do it safely in northern Ill. The price of getting caught is not worth it . Besides, I realized long ago that I am not immortal.

Hey Larry thats okay some of us are scared to do that kind of thing but others such as myself like knowing that we can get caught or killed but thats all the fun in it if we couldn't die or get put in jail for it we wouldn't do it cause that would take all the fun out of it do u understand?

user posted image

The OBD II computers that came about in 1996 store all sorts of interesting info.... like the # of times the car ignition is cyclyed and many other little things so as to try to be able to catch speedo un-hookers! Most important info is kept in the airbag computer.

I have done around 165 MPH in a 911 turbo up north of Chicago, but I would say it was not the smartest thing I ever did! That was indicated speed... so it was maybe 150 in reality. I have pictures of the speedo to prove it!

36 years old and never a ticket of any kind so you can tell I don't practice driving like an

A-hole on a regular basis. But it was my first time behind the wheel of a real 911 turbo man!

Hey Larry thats okay some of us are scared to do that kind of thing but others such as myself like knowing that we can get caught or killed but thats all the fun in it if we couldn't die or get put in jail for it we wouldn't do it cause that would take all the fun out of it do u understand?

It's not fear my friend, it's just good sense. Yeah, I understand. I once had a '69 Roadrunner up to 130+ (not sure how fast as the speedo was buried and the tach was redlined). That was when, much like yourself, I was young and invincible (or so I thought). Having fought in a war before your were born has taught me other wise. Getting caught or even death is one thing but have you ever thought about the next 50 or 60 years as a paraplegic or a double amputee? The thrill is great, but the price, if you lose, is greater. Sorry for the rant. I'll get off my soap box now. Have fun and be careful.

Hi,

my 96 SLS German spec is restricted to 220 kph (136 mph) , then it cuts off. :(

Maybe it's better that way b/c it does not feel that stable at high speeds.

I drive it that fast once in a while on an open stretch of autobahn.

Fastest car I've ever driven was a Porsche 993 bi-turbo (420 hp) which I opened up to 285 kph (177 mph). Very scary. Man, is the road narrow when you drive that fast. Incredible auto, by the way. If you ever have the possibility to drive one, try it. Words fail me to describe the brakes! Amazing.

That said, drive carefully

Stefan

I knw somene that burried the needle in there 97 STS and they almost lost control scared them so much they won't go over the speed limit now!!!!!

user posted image

Archived