CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

my eldo is riding high.

rockfangd

Looking at the schematic of the 2002 ESC sensor, it *is* a module, not just relays. It has two hot inputs, one that signals that the key is on. That would use logic and timers when you turn on the key to turn on the compressor for a few seconds, and avoid turning on the exhaust solenoid when the car is off, except for the first few minutes after shutting down to level the car if someone takes a couple of sets of golf clubs out of the trunk or some such, like a gas grille and a bunch of tailgate food.

The "switches" in the schematic are probably MOSFETs, and without power and logic driving them, they will be OFF.

The 1993 model year is a long way from the 2002 model year.

GM Parts Direct seems to have something like the right part, a "traction control switch" for $6.00. This may be the button in the glove compartment, at that price. I see the EBTCM and the ABS motor and manifold.

GM Parts Direct does seem to have the module, new. They give part number 22126143 for "2002 - Cadillac - Eldorado - ESC - REAR SUSPENSION - RIDE CONTROL - CONTROL SENSOR" and, they want $290.32 for it. It's not on one of their exploded diagrams online, which show mechanical brake and suspension parts but not electrical parts. For their page on this part CLICK HERE.

Doing a web search on that part number, it does seem like this *is* the right part, and the price is right, as others want $313.01 for it. It's discontinued, so you have to find people that still have it in stock, but most GM parts warehoused do have it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

thats what I was afraid of.

My research tells me the number you show is the same.

There is a problem though. The number is not etched into the part. It is in white print that easily rubs off over time.

Also the number has been superceded a number of times throughout the years but is the same part. So if this is true then the one I bought today is compatible.

I wish they kept the RSS on all of them. This is the first one I have ever owned that did not have it, and it shows in the ride quality

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Hi all.

I have finally figured it out.

I first bench tested my original height sensor(module)

I supplied fused 12v to the orange and the pink/blk.

I supplied ground to the black wire.

Then I raised the arm and verified delayed ground output from the yellow wire until the arm was centered

Then I lowered the arm and verified delayed ground output from the white wire until the arm was centered.

That confirrmed the sensor(module) is working properly.

I reassembled everything under the car, then unplugged the plug to the compressor.

I put my multimeter on volts and put the red on the orange and the black on the white.

That is when I figured it out. I had ground at the white wire til load was applied then it dropped. multimeter read around 4v, and fluctuated during the wiggle test.

I found the white wire had a pin hole and was corroded internally. I cut out the bad section, soldered in new, and voila. Golden.

I definately admit I made a rookie mistake in assuming that a part had failed, though that was not the case.

I will also stress that the car will not handle well without this system working properly. Too much, or too little air(even a small amount) makes a big difference. I am happy to have a spare compressor assembly though as the exhaust solenoids are a fairly common failure item.

Thanks all for the help.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I came to warn you that the module would not ground the white wire unless both the orange and brown wires had power, and find that you figured it out, found the real problem, and fixed it.

Congratulations.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.