CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Good morning caddy enthusiats. I bring to you all an issue I ran into 15 minutes ago on my way to work. Anyway, I go out to my 95 concours this morning and when I turn the key over to start it, it wont give anything, not a click, no turning over, nothing. The lights, buttons, antenna and dash display still function so I doubt it's a battery issue. This isn't the first time this has happened (it started mid last week) but I've always gotten it to start usually after about the 3rd time I turn the key over to start it. It would take about 5-6 seconds of me holding the key to get it to start but it did it. I'm not sure what to do at the moment. Just looking for some advice and insight plz. Thanx folks

The first thing to check is the battery cable connections at the battery. Take them apart and clean them - the positive cable may be two cables at the battery and corrosion can creep in between the cable ends.

The next thing would be to have the battery load tested to make sure it is up to spec.

The third thing would be to have the starter tested by a starter rebuilder - the solenoid may be bad.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thank you KHE. Now i just had somebody go look at it for me and they said they they got it to start right up after holding my gear shift up in the park position. He isn't a certified mechanic or anything but he believes the issue may have something to do with my gear linkage slipping. I have pulled a gear fault code from my OBD and received the gear indicator fault message in the past as well. Any suggestions on a fix?? Thanx again

A misadjusted PRNDL switch would cause a no start condition - I forgot about that. There is an adjustment procedure in the shop manual but I believe it requires a special tool. The switch is on top of the transmission - Driver's side of the car. You will see the shift cable attach to it.

I suppose you could adjust it via trial & error.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

For your PRND enter diagnostic mode and choose yes to. Pcm codes. Your hvac will light up. When you put your car into gear watch the hvac illuminated icon to show you are in gear. wiggle the shifter making sure to stay locked in "D" and see if its sensitive to little movements. The icon should not change or flicker. You can do this for all gears. Park and neutral have the same icon.

Archived