What year is your Cadillac

Marika

What year is your Cadillac?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. What year is your Cadillac?

• 1993 or earlier
    • 2002 or later

Catmendo,

When I come to S. Carolina in a few weeks, I have GOT to come by and see your cars. :D

I love cars. I have had SO MANY I wish I had kept.

You mentioned your Caprice... I bought a '76 brand new. It also had the 400 in it. It had NO POWER. Took it back to the dealer NUMEROUS times.

Over the next three or four months, they replaced the cam with a performance model. Put the GM performance intake and Holley carb on it. Put a performance distributor in it. I took it and had the advance curve set to come in earlier.. etc etc

Probably had it back to the dealer eight or ten times. I knew the sales manager and the service manager. They were really trying to help me. It was at the dealer about as much as it was home for the first few months.

While laying under it one day, changing the oil... I realized that the exhaust system was TERRIBLE. It had a single exhaust and was only about an inch and a half pipe.

IT COULDN'T BREATHE.

Ran into the house... found one of my Hot Rod books... Called HOOKER. After a few minutes, I actually talked to one of the engineers. Remember this was THIRTY TWO years ago. Some companies still actually had customer service.

One of his guys had also recently bought one with the 400 and was complaining about the lack of power. Long story a little shorter... they used that guys car and made headers for the 76 Caprice with the 400.

Couple of weeks later they called me with the price... after crying a little... I gave them my credit card number and a few days later... there was a big HOOKER box on my porch.

Took it all to a GOOD muffler shop... had the entire exhaust ripped from the car. He had to fabricate mounts for the AC comp and stuff... but it got done. Went to pick up the car.. cried again when I paid the muffler guy... went out and started the car....

I felt almost like the Dr in the old Frankenstien movies....

IT LIVES....

You could tell the second it started... THIS IS RIGHT. :D:D And it WAS. Drove it for two years and 50,000 miles. Never had a minutes trouble out of it. Sold it to a good friend. He drove it for several years after that. I should have kept it.

If you remember how choked down cars were with all the pollution stuff that was put on them back then. Most cars ran really crappy back in that time period and got terrible gas mileage. This one ran GOOD and got EXCELLENT mileage.

With all the tuning and Performance parts from GM... and then the headers to WAKE IT UP.... This big ole Caprice was close to (if not the ) fastest, fairly stock car, anywhere in several counties around me.

I have missed that car ever since the day I sold it. :(:(

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My STS is a 1995, bought it on Halloween 2007 with 152,000 miles. It was my first Cadillac and now has 161,000 on it. I like the body and lines of the older Cadillacs. I don't really like the spoiler lip on the trunk of the 1998+ models, although the newer current body style is growing on me.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

• 1 month later...

My 2003 CTS is my 2nd Cadillac. I owned a '71 or '72 back in '75. I have had my '03 for 2 years and will keep it another year. I would like to buy another pre-owned Cadillac next year.

Hi, JRB! I'm originally from PA, about 2 hours from Philly!

Archived