CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oops; left the STS running again

Bruce Nunnally

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/wheels/203942_road17.html

Good read; overall positive review.

Last but certainly not least is the keyless entry and push-button ignition system in the STS.

No key is used. A driver needs only to carry a proximity-measuring fob with him. The fob, which uses antennas, can be in a pocket or a purse. Walk up to the STS, pull the handle and the door unlocks.

Once inside, with the fob inside the car, too, a driver presses the brake pedal while pushing a rocker switch on the dashboard to start the engine.

But with no key for me to retrieve and pull out of the dashboard, I found myself starting to exit the STS after shifting into park and with the engine still running!

Second or third time I have read reviews where the reviewer complained of getting out of the car while leaving it running. I guess we need a new prompt, like if you open the car door the engine turns off?

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Great observations by tmpafford.

"What happens if you walk too far away with the fob in your pocket or purse? Will the car lock and shut down on its own? Would you be able to run into the store and leave the car running with the wife in it?"

I would hope the remote-keyless system is also user-configurable for both locking/shutdown times and includes other functions including remote start.

Many years ago I left my '66 Pontiac Tempest 326, 2-door run for over 8-hours in the chemical plant parking lot during midnite shift. It went thru over half a tank, but it was nice and warm. It gave one slight cough and just motored away. I joined an exclusive club of Opertors with that stunt. :D

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

The problem is someone may leave the car running in a closed garage, accidently killing all the people in the house. Particularly if the "proximity fob" is, well, in the proximity.

And the "opening the door shutting the car off" will not work either. Down here in Almost West By-God, how else are you supposed to get rid of that big chaw of Red Man? Passengers have actually been killed by falling out of the car during this tricky maneuver.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

The problem is someone may leave the car running in a closed garage, accidently killing all the people in the house. Particularly if the "proximity fob" is, well, in the proximity.

And the "opening the door shutting the car off" will not work either. Down here in Almost West By-God, how else are you supposed to get rid of that big chaw of Red Man? Passengers have actually been killed by falling out of the car during this tricky maneuver.

ROFL...OMG...I think that I would die if I saw someone falling out of their car while trying to spit chew.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Archived