CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tranny acts up when cold.

Marika

At work, I park my car in an "open air" underground garage.

When I get in the car at 5pm, I start it up. Shift into drive and when I give it a little gas, it goes no where, RPM's go up, nothing moves. A few seconds later, I can hear it shift and the car goes.

What should I be checking here to avoid problems. What's going on with this car that only has 66,000 miles on it?

No codes, no messages on the DIC.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I experience this also last winter. Its probably related to the cold. I made it a habit to let it idle a bit longer in the cold and to make sure the tranny engages before I move it. I can only imagine that the drum/seals in the clutch pack is sluggish from tightness in the cold cold. I wonder if there is some type of 'lube' that would help... Lucas? Oh Oh.... Mike

Could low tranny fluid also be the cause? I'm taking the car in on Saturday to put the winter tires on, I guess I'll have them check the fluid level also?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

This may sound a bit elementry but, have you checked your fluid level?

LOL!! We posted at exactly the same time!!

I guess I'll have the fluid level checked on Saturday as well.

Could low tranny fluid also be the cause? I'm taking the car in on Saturday to put the winter tires on, I guess I'll have them check the fluid level also?

Yes, I'm sure it could. Having said that, I am not sure how low it would have to be. Check the trans fluid idling in park with the fluid up to operating temp before you pay anyone for an inspection.

Could low tranny fluid also be the cause?  I'm taking the car in on Saturday to put the winter tires on, I guess I'll have them check the fluid level also?

Yes, I'm sure it could. Having said that, I am not sure how low it would have to be. Check the trans fluid idling in park with the fluid up to operating temp before you pay anyone for an inspection.

I'll dig out the owner's manual tomorrow and I'l just let it warm up a bit before I move it, or, I'll park on the second floor of the parking garage where I'm sure it's not as cold.

I'll let you know what happens.

Could this also be a sign of transmission failure?

If the tranny fluid is just low, it could just mean you have a small leak around the bottom pan seal. How long has it been since you checked it last? Have you noticed any puddles under the car lately?

If the tranny fluid is just low, it could just mean you have a small leak around the bottom pan seal. How long has it been since you checked it last? Have you noticed any puddles under the car lately?

When I bought the car, it was bone dry underneath. After taking it to a Caddy dealership to have the trans drained, etc., it started to leak around the pan, they did a crappy job on it so I know that it does leak but not enough where I see fluid on the ground.

I will have it checked out on Saturday.

Well, I just checked the fluid. Engine coolant was about 180F. I followed the directions in the owners manual, slowly moving through all the gears while keeping my foot on the brake LOL!! and after pulling out the dip stick, wiping it clean, putting it back in and waiting the necessary 3 seconds to pull it out again to have a look, the fluid is at the bottom of the cross-hatched marks so I'm going to guess that it needs fluid.

Fluid was nice and red, clear and free of any burnt odors, thank G-d for that.

I need to replace that pan gasket. Any idea what this should cost?

Just got back from the mechanic. Switched over the tires to the four Dunlop winter tires and he looked at the transmission.

I need two cooling lines, apparently the rubber part is leaking. About 1 hour of work and he's going to let me know on Monday what the parts cost. That's where my trans fluid is leaking from. Will get it done ASAP since I know how important transmission cooling is.

Archived