CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Swap the part, reprogram it, and voila

Bruce Nunnally

I find this an interesting article from the GM Techlink

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images/is...4/TLdec04e.html

Seems the Door Zone Module (DZM) which controls the outside mirrors for the CTS and the SRX is the same part. Unfortunately, the wiring for the CTS and SRX for the outside mirrors is different. So the module has to know which car it is in to operate properly.

The module is set at manufacture as an SRX DZM. If you install it into a CTS, you need to use a Tech 2 to tell the module that it is installed into a CTS. So much for the do-it-yourselfer, who usually won't have a Tech 2. Export models have a whole different set of settings.

It would be simpler if the SRX and CTS wiring for their outside mirrors were the same. Not sure that features the SRX has that the CTS does not, but I suppose that is the problem.

On the other hand, good behaviour on the module's part would be for the software to be able to recognize which car it is installed in, perhaps by asking the PCM, and then adjusting accordingly. Or even a switch on the side of the module that the module controller could then read. Self-adjusting on the part of the module seems more elegant to me though.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I find this an interesting article from the GM Techlink

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images/is...4/TLdec04e.html

Seems the Door Zone Module (DZM) which controls the outside mirrors for the CTS and the SRX is the same part. Unfortunately, the wiring for the CTS and SRX for the outside mirrors is different. So the module has to know which car it is in to operate properly.

The module is set at manufacture as an SRX DZM. If you install it into a CTS, you need to use a Tech 2 to tell the module that it is installed into a CTS. So much for the do-it-yourselfer, who usually won't have a Tech 2. Export models have a whole different set of settings.

It would be simpler if the SRX and CTS wiring for their outside mirrors were the same. Not sure that features the SRX has that the CTS does not, but I suppose that is the problem.

On the other hand, good behaviour on the module's part would be for the software to be able to recognize which car it is installed in, perhaps by asking the PCM, and then adjusting accordingly. Or even a switch on the side of the module that the module controller could then read. Self-adjusting on the part of the module seems more elegant to me though.

To make this happened, instead of simple programmable memory chip it should use some additional electronic components or chip with one more address line. Plus it will require more wiring to get PCM info. This is more expensive and less reliable. And on a production line it's much easier just to burn chip differently.

Why GM should care if we want move module from CTS to SRX? Their goal is to make car cheaper and more reliable at first.

The Tech 2 already talks to the controller in the DZM; seems a small step with no additional cost but the programming to me to have the PCM tell the DZM instead. They had to spend the money to reprogram all the Tech 2's to understand this discussion already.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I had hoped that Caddy would have pioneered "smart" parts by now.

The parts would have an internal circuit-breaker and simply clip onto a common 12-volts (or higher power) two-wire bus at any point in the vehicle. NO wiring harness!

The parts state who they are and then read commands from the power bus to understand what to do.

The switch labels would change as required for languages or alarms etc.

No big deal here really for any chip.

Too simple I guess?

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived