CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

mufflers

Okay I need new mufflers and i figured that I mise well go with performance ones so does any one have any suggestions on what the dynomax super turbos or the flowmaster 40 series mufflers will sound on my 94 STS which are better? I want a muffler that is loud but not one that makes people go deaph so any advice on these or suggestions on any other mufflers would be great. Another thing is I want to upgrade to the chrome exaust tips does anyone no where I can get these? Myn are old and burnt looking and I just like the look of the chrome ones thanks.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

How would you compare the sound level of the Deltaflow 50s to the stock system?

At idle, the sound level is about the same as stock. At full throttle it lets its presence known but it is still fairly subdued along with having that Flowmaster tone (about as loud as a new Chevy truck with stock mufflers). With the windows up on the car, you would not detect any difference in sound levels but you might notice the increase in power.

IPB Image

Thanks anyone else have anything to say about this conversastion Any one no about the chrome tips? maybe

user posted image

How would you compare the sound level of the Deltaflow 50s to the stock system?

At idle, the sound level is about the same as stock. At full throttle it lets its presence known but it is still fairly subdued along with having that Flowmaster tone (about as loud as a new Chevy truck with stock mufflers). With the windows up on the car, you would not detect any difference in sound levels but you might notice the increase in power.

Ed,

Many thanks. I asked because here in Nazi Jersey often the MV inspectors hit upon minor things in order to make what I believe is a quota of rejections. I have a 2004 Chevy van so I can relate to the throatiness. A bit louder is not a problem. Replacements from Walker or Maremont are available but my experience is that those aftermarket systems rust out quickly.

Again, thanks.

A bit louder is not a problem. Replacements from Walker or Maremont are available but my experience is that those aftermarket systems rust out quickly.

Again, thanks.

I don't see why a Flowmaster should not outlast a stock muffler that's subject to salt. The fully welded case is much thicker than the thin sheet metal muffler I threw away.

For more information on Deltaflow read here:

Click Here!!!!! - DeltaFlow

IPB Image

I have the Super turbo's with the 3" main back to the "y" and 2 1/2 inlet, outlet.

Hate it....

Here is the reason why.... I have an STS, and on the highway the resonant frequency is right at 70-85. Loud as all hell. people are always complaining from the back seat. Also if you are anything but light on the throttle around town it is constantly there.

Im 29, I also have a 69 vette with headers ...3" pipes right into flomasters. That is loud and obnoxious OUTSIDE the car. does not resonate...

People who are driving the SLS said they love it cause they are running different gears... I didnt catch what you are driving...

That's my take on it. MD of DAB

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

A bit louder is not a problem. Replacements from Walker or Maremont are available but my experience is that those aftermarket systems rust out quickly.

Again, thanks.

I don't see why a Flowmaster should not outlast a stock muffler that's subject to salt. The fully welded case is much thicker than the thin sheet metal muffler I threw away.

For more information on Deltaflow read here:

Click Here!!!!! - DeltaFlow

Ed,

I should have been more specific. By "those aftermarket systems", I was referring to Maremont and Walker. not Deltaflow which I understand to be of considerably better construction. Thanks for the follow-up to clarify.

DFB

I just had a set of Dynomax Super Turbos installed. I retained the stock system and just replaced the mufflers with part #17746. It seems to be just slightly louder with a nice mild performance tone - a lot bassier than what I expected. It's nice and quiet inside the car - no resonance at any speed - and with the blower motor and stereo turned down, I am really enjoying the way it sounds when I step on it. Even part throttle and idle sounds nice. At first, I didn't think it was loud enough, but the mufflers seem to be gaining a bit of volume as they "burn in". I retained the stock tips.

As for the performance, I am VERY PLEASED. I've noticed the car launches better and has much improved throttle response at most any RPM.

Just be sure to sand them down at spray them with several coats of a good high temp silver or black paint, such as POR-20, so they'll last. They are not stainless, just aluminized.

I need mufflers any ways myn are rusted and have a few small holes in them. I cant wait to get those on and see what they sound like but about the tips myn are just stainless steel I wonder if I could get them chromed? well I'll have to ask around I guess has anyone on here done that before? Would it be cheaper then going to the dealer ship and paying 120 dollars for 4 tips?

user posted image

1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC w/ 118k

Just put on 3 chamber Flowmaster 40 series (not delta). I think they are absolutely PERFECT.

I was a little sketched on it at first because some people said it would be too loud (if you floor it in Park or Neutral, you can set off sensative car alarms), but it's perfect sound at idle. Low melow sound inside, any music will drown it. Open windows, sounds great. Outside, only loud on acceleration. I LOVE IT. I don't think the dynomax superturbos would have been loud enough for me.

I guess I could check into the 40 series cause I do want loud just not to loud if you know what I mean. I want a muffler that rumbles at idle and has a nice mellow sound when your pulling away easy and one that roars when you stomp on it. Is the dynomax or the flowmaster better for this??????????

user posted image

Just remember that the 40 Series Flowmaster is the loudest muffler Flowmaster makes. If you want loud, then that's the way to go. They are dyno proven. If you want a more subtle improvement in sound, as well as dyno proven performance, then the Dynomax is the way to go. Be sure to listen to some clips on their website - and this one. Personally, I like the way the Dynomax's "wake up" when I step on the throttle and quiet down at cruising speed (especially in a luxury touring car like the STS). My backseat passengers seem to like the sound they make when I step on it too. I'd prefer a slightly louder idle, but I find this acceptable, especially since the Dynomax seems to get louder as it ages.

The Flowmaster 40's I had on my Monte Carlo SS created so much interior resonance at cruising speed that I could not even talk to someone without changing the engine RPM. Had to put on the 50's.

The Flowmaster 40 Series is probably your best best. You'll Love It.

The sample clip from Flowmaster's website is a little rougher than it sounds on my Northstar. So the interior sound it sutble unless the windows are down, and music is off. Outside, it's loud enough to put a smile on my face with every peddle stomp. Quiet enough at slow acceleration but with a low melow tone.

What's an easy way for me to get a sound clip of my flowmasters?

How much are the flowmaster 40 series mufflers?????? The dyno max super turbos are only like 35 bucks I would probly be ordering them off the website anyone do this before? How much do they charge?

user posted image

Anything retail nowadays (esp in California) is expensive. Try eBayMotors.com for some mufflers. I purchased both my 40 series mufflers for $100, $50 for chrome tips, and $120 to get them installed (the install costed the most).

So essentially, the mufflers for $50 each (opposed to the cheap $35, i don't think you'll find them that cheap if you live in CA).

I live in PEI, Canada and I gathered prices from most of the local muffler shops and prices for the dynomax mufflers (installed) run anywhere from $140 - $200. Thats a pretty large price differance. I checked into the 40 series and they generally cost $200 - $230 installed. Not to mention the prices are in Canadian funds. I think I will probebly invest my in the dynomax mufflers after the winter is over, because of the good value.

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Well Yenko I have decided to go with the Flowmaster 40 series and I should have them on by next March. I'll let you listen and you can be the Judge. HA HA

user posted image

I have Magnaflow Wide Open.Sounds awesome at idle.It took me a whole year to make my decision because I wanted performance,deep but not too loud sound since I'm 35 years old and married.Waited for Borla to design a system,but that was a waste of time.I upgraded to 2 1/2 stainless steel pipe from resonator back,and the largest polished steel muffflers since, I was afraid the sound would be unbearrable.Turned out that It wasn't too loud especially at high rpm's when you hear the smoothest engine out there NORTHSTAR.I'm going to probably get 3 Inch pipe in the front,high flow cat,and remove the resonator. (I just have to get it past my wife).

Ive heard that it sounds great when you first put it on but after about 10 000 miles or so and it really gets worked in it starts to sound kind of crusty!!!! Is that the case?

user posted image

Archived