CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Problems after Starter Replacement

audioguy99

I just had to have the starter replaced on my 95 SLS. Now (don't know if there's any correlation), when I set cruise control it surges like someone keeps pressing the gas and finally smooths out after a couple minutes. I use cruise every day so I'm sure this is only after the repair.

Also, the parking brake doesn't work now. I press it and it just comes back up. Is it possible that this is related? Is the parking brake a fairly easy fix?

Thanks for any help. I've never posted, but have been to the board many times in the last couple of years so I know someone has the answer! :)

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Welcome to the board! What was the reason you had to replace the starter?

It happens all the time - people replace starter despite it is not the real culprit.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

It was pretty strange. It appeared to have power - all electronics, lights worked - but it wouldn't start. When I turned the key it wouldn't do anything - no noise, attempts to start, etc. When I had it towed, the steering wheel would barely move like it had no power. The shop replaced the starter and now it seems to be fine, just the cruise issue and the parking brake (unless there's something else I haven't noticed). I was thinking it was just a matter of needing to reset after the battery disconnect, but that's been almost a week now. I wouldn't think the parking brake was at all related, just thought I'd mention it since it all of a sudden isn't working.

Thanks,

Jonathan

The cruise and the parking brake release both operated off vacuum in the early 90s; not sure on 95, but the problem could be that a vacuum connection below the steering column is not connected well enough or is leaking.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Check if the throttle cable from the cruise servo moves freely, seems like something is holding it up, Perhaps its pinched or in need of some lubricant?

By the way, to get power steering assistance you need to have your engine running.

I assume it has a northstar in it. If so the intake manifold was removed to change the starter. sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. The intake maniford could be leaking or some vacuum line off the intake. I believe the vacuum source is under the beauty cover passenger side, at least it is on my 97 sts.

I am not sure what is the best way to find a leak at the intake maniford , maybe someone on the board could tell you. Good Luck

How bad did they fleece you for the starter job? Given its location, I hope mine NEVER goes out. It looks like a $1,000 job as I assume they have to pull the intake manifold to do the job and the starter has to be pricey to start with.

I don't know about prices and I have not had the "pleasure" of doing a Northstar starter but from what I have read it is pretty easy and quick, in spite of being under the intake manifold.

How bad did they fleece you for the starter job? Given its location, I hope mine NEVER goes out. It looks like a $1,000 job as I assume they have to pull the intake manifold to do the job and the starter has to be pricey to start with.

Replacing the starter on a NS is very easy, takes about an 1-1/2 hours, taking your time. I did it on my '93 STS twice because a starter shop bench-tested my starter and said it was good, and after re-installing it and eliminating all other potential problems, I ended up replacing it and it solved the problem. The second time I yanked it and replaced it with a new one took about 45 minutes as I knew exactly what to do, in the exact order.

Basically, you remove the airbox all the way to the intake, and you can prop it up enough with a 1 x 4 stick of wood and unbolt the starter without removing any of the fuel injection or other throttle components. There is a little bit of limb contortion that takes place to remove the starter bolt on the aft side, but it can be done. Easiest starter replacement I ever experienced.

It sounds like when they replaced the starter they either did not get the vacuum lines back on correctly or broke/cracked a fitting or vacuum line.

There is a large vacuum line to the forward side of the cruise control unit, and a smaller one underneath.

Check the three tubes that go into the top of the throttle body. This in called a vacuum manifold, they can get torn and not control the vacuum correctly. Follow these tubes behind the cruise control and make sure all three are connected.

Rotate the throttle body cable by hand, with the engine off. It must open and close smoothly, if any binding is present it must be corrected. The cable end piece, may not be in the throttle body linkage correctly.

Below is a link to my web storage with some pictures that may be of some help.

STS Northstar Information

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived