CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Upgrading exaust pipes

an01sts

I wouldn't mind upgrading my exaust, and I like the theroy behind the Corsa system. The noise, however, is the only reason I choose not to do the upgrade. Well, the $1.2k helps, but if my need for the Coras was killin' me, I'd probally spring for it.

I've heard about other upgrades, but they all are loud mufflers, something I have detested, even as a kid. Real street race cars are quiet. You don't hear that you got beat; you see that you got beat. Also, quiet performance cars sound incredibally agressive. You hear that muffled scream, and you say, "Wow! That's a bad @$$ car." Also, my STS has a fairly agressive sound, and lots of people have complemented me on its agressive, but muffled scream.

What about just upgrading the pipes to 2.25" and plumming them through the stock mufflers? I read somewhere, I think Guru mentioned it, that the 99+ have different mufflers. The mufflers are huge, and they look as if they offer a good amount of flow. It's hard to find out for sure, because as with air filters, anyone comparing mufflers are in the business of selling you their mufflers.

I'm not positive, but it seems possible that it would increase flow and the exaust would maintain its stock sound. The thing I don't know is if the reduced size at the muffler would cancel out any gain of the larger pipe. I know for fact that it would restrict it some. The thing is would it give it more flow, even a little more flow. Even if it only offered marginal additional flow, I'd consider it. After all, a little here and a little there add up. I would be getting better than stock exaust performance, without barking out "Listen guys! I have a loud car." I'd rather have people say "wtf?"

Another question I ponder is whether or not such a modification could decrease flow/performance. After all, if you dink with things, you can foul things up.

While I have your attention, would it be possible to cut off the stock opening of the muffler and intall a larger pipe? Even one step further, split open the muffler and replace the narrow pipe with the larger pipe, then stich the muffler up. Does anyone know what the indside of the muffler looks like? And does anyone know where they can send me to see a picture of a cut-away view of the muffler? I know such a modification sounds extreeme and people would ask why bother? The answer is because of noise, something that I find less than impressive.

Your comments/thoughts please.

I've thought about this for a while. I've read the exhaust enthusiasts stories about Flowmasters and other after market items and ran them by my mechanic.

He told me what I have is the best of both worlds. Quiet at idle and city driving but a real powerful "report" on WOT. He said the car was designed for a "regulated" top end of 150 mph. Once you start modifying exhaust systems ( by changing normal back pressure ) you "may" affect other sensors. Unless I want to modify it for racing his advice was to leave it alone.

The car has run like a dream, with the exception of that "devious" ignition swith problem which has now been corrected.

As the saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." JMHO

Bbobynski has suggested before that a new muffler is going to give a good amount of bang-for-your-buck, as far as a bolt-on part goes, and assuming you don't buy a $1200 exhaust system. Have a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos welded in for 300 bucks. Or upgrade to the stainless steel Edelbrocks or Borlas. You won't have the noise of a Corsa or Flowmaster (especially if you get the Dynomax), but you'll improve the flow of the exhaust just as well.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Jadcock,

I have thought of upgrading my stock setup to the Dynomax Superturbos before too.

My motivation is just a more agressive sound. The performance of the car is oodles for my tastes, but like An01STS said, I don't want anything that "screams".

From what I've read in past discussions, the Superturbos are the most conservative in terms of sound.

Would you say however, that the Superturbos are noticibly more macho than the stock mufflers?

I am still trying to reason with myself whether they would be a worth-while investment!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I'm kind of hesitant at modifications, and I learned that lesson about 3 decades ago. My concern is that such a modification could decrease performance or screw something up in the operations. You see, I want my cake and eat it too. I want more performance, but I don't want one decible more noise. I know! I know!

Check out the 11/10 post by KrisR and his solution, pictures included. This set up intrigued me for when the time comes. Cost was reasonable as well. Maybe he will review the system again now that he has had the setup for a few weeks.

On the other hand I do like the quiet subtle stock sound when I am in the car.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to take a look at the 11/10 post, but I may have looked at it. Even with the stock system, my car sounds fairly agressive. It's wisper quiet, but it lets other's know when it's wot. Also, I had a 99 STS. I don't know for sure, but the 01 seems faster, and louder than the 99.

Archived