CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How to drive with the trunk open?

Jan Olsson

I was thinking about something I´ve seen somewhere. I think there is some kind of extra equipment to ensure that the trunk lid is held tied down when you want to put something big in the trunk, like a christmas tree for example. Sure I can take a piece of string and make some knots on it to secure it, but if think there is a more glamorous way to do it? B)

Great thing that! Thanks for the input. This will work a lot better than me having to fumble with stiff fingers in the dark.

Don´t get me wrong now..

Great thing that! Thanks for the input. This will work a lot better than me having to fumble with stiff fingers in the dark.

Don´t get me wrong now..

Not to worry Jan. We all know it gets cold and lonely way up north.... ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Much neater than raggedy bungee cords of various and assorted hideous colours...LOL

Hey..I resemble that. LOL

How can you knock the old American standby, the ubiquitous bungee?

Why, I am surprised....

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Just jam a 2 x 4 (I'm not sure what that is in metric, but I'am also sure its doesn't sound as good) in the middle so it sticks wide open but stops the tree from falling out.

That way you can also check out the vast increase in speed, improved handling and cool looks derived from your new "rear spoiler". :D:P:lol:

Hey, I have one of those cargo nets BB referred to! I might need a skematic to install as he deftly decribed. But I'll give it a shot next time I have 6-rolls of grass sod in the back... gotta love that leveling comprssor.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

No! That gizmo doesn't work; in fact, it's a pos! At lease in the Seville, and anyone who has ever tried it can testify to the fact. The problem was that the brainless idiot behind such an idea forgot to take into consideration that the attachment points are merely plastic threaded parts, and if you put tesion on them, they yank off the threaded studs. (It's dealer's choice which attachment you try. ALL OF THEM WILL RIP OFF ON THE FIRST OR SECOND BUMP! After they rip off, they don't have enough meat to give a firm bite, so they'll flop around like loose teeth after they have been pulled off.) They included this pos in the 99 STS. The 01, however, didn't include it. Gee! I wonder why? Do you think that Cadillac owners, having them break loose on the highway, bitched to Cadillac about the incredible stupidity of whomever thought up the idea of using plastic trim retainers as load bearing points?

If anyone is using a bungee cord, I'd like to know what it's attached to. What part of the trunk lid or trunk latch is the bungee secured to, or passed through? I cannot attest to the other cars, but with the last geneartion Seville, you're sol with trying to tie the trunk down. You're best bet is heavy string, or wire, fished up through the trunk latch, down through the trunk catch, then tied together. If you use string, you need heavy duty nylon string, and it doesn't hurt to be redundant wit a couple of peice of string.

ALL OF THEM WILL RIP OFF ON THE FIRST OR SECOND BUMP!

I´ll stick to the bungee. Think I´ve seen a black one in the cellar..with a ton of other stuff <_>

That way you can also check out the vast increase in speed, improved handling and cool looks derived from your new "rear spoiler".

That reminded me of a teacher I had in elementary school. She was driving an old very rusty hatchback. One day she was late to lesson because her trunk lid fell off. Perhaps she was trying that? :D

2x4 sounds better than 50x100, so thats why the carpenters here in Sweden still use the english system?

Much neater than raggedy bungee cords of various and assorted hideous colours...LOL

Hey..I resemble that. LOL

How can you knock the old American standby, the ubiquitous bungee?

Why, I am surprised....

Well I'm sure you choose basic color bungi cords, and avoid the hideous colored ones, Bob. They should really be in a different section anyway.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived