CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Considering an 04 Deville. Input?

Looked at a beautiful 2004 Deville today with 47k miles. Seriously considering buying it. Only obvious problem I can see is the tire pressure warning indicator is on.

Has the head bolt issue pretty much been resolved by this year? I'm probably going to take it by a shop to have the cooling system tested for exhaust gas. Anything else that might be a red flag?

It's a pretty basic model but obviously well cared for and serviced regularly at the local Caddy dealer.

Buy it! I have an '05 Deville and it has been bulletproof. It is almost as good as my '93 Fleetwood Brougham.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I really like the 2004 DTS. I would buy one if I would spend the money. Have a combustion test done and I would make sure the torque convertor works good. check out the suspension.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Looked at a beautiful 2004 Deville today with 47k miles. Seriously considering buying it. Only obvious problem I can see is the tire pressure warning indicator is on.

Has the head bolt issue pretty much been resolved by this year? I'm probably going to take it by a shop to have the cooling system tested for exhaust gas. Anything else that might be a red flag?

It's a pretty basic model but obviously well cared for and serviced regularly at the local Caddy dealer.

The head bolt issues were pretty much resolved starting with the 2004 model year.

Run the diagnostic codes - there may be something stored related to the tire pressure monitoring system. There is not a light for the TPM system - all tire pressure issues are displayed on the information center. Maybe that is what you mean by "the tire pressure warning light is on"? Below is how to access the onboard diagnostics for the 2000-2005 Devilles:

With the key in the run position or the engine running (it makes no difference), simultaneously press and hold the ON/OFF and INFO UP buttons on the dash to the right of the speedometer and above the gearshift lever. The system will go through a segment check and then you will see ALL? on the driver information sensor (DIC).

To operate the diagnostics, the following buttons are used:

• ON/OFF = Yes
  • INFO RESET = No
  • INFO UP/DN is the toggle to between systems
  • To exit the diagnostics, repeatedly press the INFO RESET button or turn the ignition to OFF.

Any codes will be displayed on the DIC as CURRENT or HISTORY.

Testing the coolant for combustion gasses is a good idea but at 47,000 miles, I will bet the test turns out negative. You might want to make an offer contingent on repairing the tire pressure monitor system. It could be as simple as needing a new sensor in one the valve stem on one of the tires.

Get a copy of the service history from the Cadillac dealer so you can add it to your own maintenance log.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

oregonk5

Buy it....if you want just any Cadillac! I bought a '04 base Deville a year and half ago with 22,k miles. It has been real good to me for basic transportation. Now passing 60,k miles, I figure I'm getting my $9,000 dollars worth in basic transportation and reliability. Know that once you've owned a DTS, or an STS, you would not knowingly by a base Deville. At least I know I will never do it again because I know I cannot expect the same experience from the two. The first thing I noticed on the ride home, was the suspension is way too soft! I was in my STS and my wife was driving the Deville. I was laughing as the Deville was bouncing down the highway, while the STS was tight to the road. Second thing is the stereo. IMHO the stereo is no better than in any base GM car. Seriously... turn it up! Not the best sound... The STS has a killer Bose stereo which I love every day! I have driven the Deville 1,500 miles each way to Florida three times, and was uncomfortable every time. The bench seat is not built for comfort. Same trip in the STS many times, and comfortable all the way. STS has massage, which really helps on the long drive. The car drives well in the snow, but would be no comparison to a DTS or STS with Magnaride and Stabilitrac. My advice is to go out and compare some DTS' or STS' or even CTS' with the upgrades before you by a Deville. If my Deville would have been my first Cadillac instead of my fourth Cadillac, I would probably be driving something else by now, probably not a Cadillac!

Just my opinion!

Ohio Jim

oregonk5

Buy it....if you want just any Cadillac! I bought a '04 base Deville a year and half ago with 22,k miles. It has been real good to me for basic transportation. Now passing 60,k miles, I figure I'm getting my $9,000 dollars worth in basic transportation and reliability. Know that once you've owned a DTS, or an STS, you would not knowingly by a base Deville. At least I know I will never do it again because I know I cannot expect the same experience from the two. The first thing I noticed on the ride home, was the suspension is way too soft! I was in my STS and my wife was driving the Deville. I was laughing as the Deville was bouncing down the highway, while the STS was tight to the road. Second thing is the stereo. IMHO the stereo is no better than in any base GM car. Seriously... turn it up! Not the best sound... The STS has a killer Bose stereo which I love every day! I have driven the Deville 1,500 miles each way to Florida three times, and was uncomfortable every time. The bench seat is not built for comfort. Same trip in the STS many times, and comfortable all the way. STS has massage, which really helps on the long drive. The car drives well in the snow, but would be no comparison to a DTS or STS with Magnaride and Stabilitrac. My advice is to go out and compare some DTS' or STS' or even CTS' with the upgrades before you by a Deville. If my Deville would have been my first Cadillac instead of my fourth Cadillac, I would probably be driving something else by now, probably not a Cadillac!

Just my opinion!

Ohio Jim

This is all about the soft vs. firm road handling suspensions. Myself, I prefer the soft suspension of the Deville - I have both a Deville and a STS and my preference is the Deville. My ultimate preference is my Fleetwood Brougham - NO other Cadillac can even hold a candle to that car for ride quality.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have Deville, seville, and eldorado.

The deville is very soft and like a boat.

The seville is firm and great for high speed firmness

The eldorado is the best of both. soft for normal but firm at higher speeds. Also love the look of the eldorado because it shares some of the looks of the Deville. The Seville is its own animal

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

If the Deville was "bouncing all over the road" then it needed shocks and struts.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I bought the 2004 Deville and am pleased as can be. It's an amazing car and other than a slight squeaky noise at low speed over bumps, it's flawless. Such a better driving experience than my '95.

IMHO Cadillac is a luxury car first and foremost. I've never liked the European firmness of the CTS, STS, etc. If I wanted a sports car I would have bought one. My preference is smooth and soft, floating on air-like ride.

oregonk5 and other have a major point to consider: Cadillac makes cars for different tastes over a very wide range, so get one that suits your taste.

Myself, I wanted a sports car and I got one, and I love it. When asked about Cadillac what I would do to improve my Eldorado in 1998 or 1999, when it was one or two years old, I said 100 more horsepower and 500 pounds less weight, which, with a suspension to match, gets you to the Corvette type of vehicle. That's what the CTS-V is, within practicality, and with Cadillac accoutrements.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I agree, CJ but Caddy does seem to have departed from the luxury-cruiser market (so has Lincoln). I think they miss the mark....there still has to be plenty of people out there who appreciate soft ride, lots of power and tons of space! My parents still drive a 1990 Fleetwood Brougham because what could they replace it with? An CTS with a bunch of gadgets hung off it that rides like brick?

Believe me I'm a Caddy believer and have owned everything from a '64 Coupe DeVille, a Seville to an STS. However this Deville is about the last of large Caddies. What will I do in another 10 years when this one is ready for replacement? I'm a middle-aged, fat American executive...I need my space, dammit! :yupi3ti:

This is a different world than it was in the 1990's. Imo, standards have been lowered (especially since the 2008 market crash) i don't believe Cadillac can build for these niche markets anymore. I love all the room in my '96 Deville. I am tall and scarry skinny, so imagine all the room i have in this beast. My driver seat is all the Way back, reclined back all the way, and i keep my passenger seat all the way up. Looks like the car has 3 rows of seats. When i look out the window, its the back. My little body hides behind the door pillar, so from the right angle, it probably looks like no one is driving!

Actually I think you ought to go see an XTS and get in, close the door, and see what it's like inside before you decide that Cadillac has abandoned the luxury cruiser market. Then, there is the Escalade, of course.

Oh, I knew the Escalade would have to rear it's ugly head :glare: If I put pinstripes on my sweat pants that doesn't give me an Armani.

I get Caddy still offers fine cars, it's just that not all the buyers are interested in stiff suspension, firm leather and euro-styling. Give us a cruiser that we can relax in!

Oh, I knew the Escalade would have to rear it's ugly head :glare: If I put pinstripes on my sweat pants that doesn't give me an Armani.

I get Caddy still offers fine cars, it's just that not all the buyers are interested in stiff suspension, firm leather and euro-styling. Give us a cruiser that we can relax in!

I'll second that!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'll second that!

I'll third that... :)

Posted Image

I'll certainly agree that the Escalade is no Deville. But, from the viewpoint of a non-car-guy financial type, we see Escalade and Hummer stretch limos, so such a bonehead may consider that niche covered.

I haven't looked at the XTS myself, being more of a CTS-V person than a big car person. The next time I'm in for service I will, at the risk of my freedom from engagement with car salesmen, find one on the floor and actually get in and look around. It's supposed to appeal to the Deville customers, but with its sloping roofline it doesn't look like a big sedan at first glance. But maybe it is. There are other cars in the pipeline not none imminent.

I'll certainly agree that the Escalade is no Deville. But, from the viewpoint of a non-car-guy financial type, we see Escalade and Hummer stretch limos, so such a bonehead may consider that niche covered.

I haven't looked at the XTS myself, being more of a CTS-V person than a big car person. The next time I'm in for service I will, at the risk of my freedom from engagement with car salesmen, find one on the floor and actually get in and look around. It's supposed to appeal to the Deville customers, but with its sloping roofline it doesn't look like a big sedan at first glance. But maybe it is. There are other cars in the pipeline not none imminent.

One of the things that I just do not like on the XTS is that sloping roofline. It leaves almost no deck lid and that would make it tough to get a piece of luggage or a box of any size through the opening - much less load the trunk for a trip.

They went to a V6 but the mileage is the same as the Northstar V8 it replaced...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Going to a V6 without improving the fuel economy smacks of MBAs directing engineers without feedback on the results and consequences of decisions. Unless the performance or driveability improved, that change was not constructive.

With a large car, it's hard to beat a small V8 for good driveabilty with good to excellent fuel economy. The VIN "Y" Northstars all were quite capable of excellent fuel economy and the VIN "9" Northstars had good fuel economy. The STS-V and XLR-V with the 4.4 liter supercharged Northstar with independent VVT on intake and exhaust provide an opportunity to give fantastic performance and, with the proper re-program, final drive ratio, and top two gears in the transmission with TCC, excellent fuel economy. The "re-program" can happen in the PCM using the similar logic as that of the EVAP purge. Possibly variable displacement might be added to the mix. But it can't be directed from a boardroom or meeting room because achieving something like that takes a lot of test time on the track and out in the world.

Usually blunders like V6 with the fuel economy of a V8 happen with people trying to pander to what they think the market wants, and flows down too far for the voices to be heard when the rubber meets the road. Cadillac is better than most in avoiding that.

Archived