CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CTS-V spy video - Supercharger or Turbo?

KGP writes:

We caught the new CTS-V track testing, and boy does it sound nasty.

Our detailed shots reveal the CTS-V's aggressive new front- and rear-fascias and their attendant sculpted lower side sills. The improved chassis on the standard CTS is a promising starting point for the new V to truly challenge as a legitimate alternative to the highest-performance sedans in the market segment.

The CTS-V prototype was seen sporting the same vertically-slatted grille which we have already seen on the ATS-V. This new grille design would represent a huge departure in the look and feel of Cadillac's V models if this grille is truly destined for the final production CTS-V models. A similar grille design has also been spotted on prototypes for Cadillac's ATS-V coupe and sedan, so we may truly be looking at the new face of high-performance Cadillacs. It has been suggested that Cadillac designers are looking for greater visual differentiation for their full-on V models, with the introduction of the less-potent V-sport trim, which adheres closer to the look of the standard CTS.

So, crank your speakers up and enjoy this video.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

It sounds like the LT 6.2 liter. Some of the stills are old, like the three queued at a turnstile, but the video, with sound, is definitely new news. There's no real information, though. It's a teaser!

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Does it sound (and I'm speculating here) like a muted exhaust (like with the new turbo'd F1 cars) as opposed to a supercharged (regular cacophony) of exhaust you'd hear with a straight muffled car; perhaps not enough fidelity in the video (to make that call).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

It sounds like a high-flow twin cat system with an X-pipe or something similar, like my 2011 CTS-V. But that doesn't mean anything. A lot of it looked like long-lens stuff that shouldn't have any sound. The sound could be real or it could be dubbed. And as faint as it was no one can be sure of inferring much from it other than that this isn't a totally silenced DeVille exhaust.

I could hear a tiny bit of cat restriction just before shifting, which is normal. If you put a cat much bigger than that on a car it won't light off reliably on a cold morning. But I didn't hear the smoothing sound of a turbo restriction.

These cars could be supercharged, or they could be normally aspirated mules for chassis dynamics work and other things that don't need the production release powertrain. Since Nurburgring-tuned chassis dynamics and a Cadillac-specific drive train are the long poles in the tent for the development schedule, you can bet that there are a lot of test mules out there that have a lot of different combination of components all over the car.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

The venture that it was a twin turbo was based on what they thought was twin intercoolers on the sides of the grille, and their opinion that people are going to turbos over superchargers for fuel economy. On my car, those two vents in the front fenders are the brake vents. The extra hole below the bumper is to allow more air in, as is the special grille on the V series, because these cars have four coolers: power steering cooler, intercooler, A/C condenser, and radiator. And, having two smaller intercoolers, it would seem to me, would decrease the total intercooler air. And intercooler air flow is proportional to sustained peak horsepower.

The mention of the 4.5 liter engine is interesting too. The 6.2 liter is a pushrod engine that will be delivering just under 100 hp/liter, but DOHC supercharged V8s have been coming form Cadillac with well over 100 hp/liter since the STS-V came out in what? 2006? That's eight years ago. And Bruce shows that this engine can reliably put out 500 hp at the front wheels, comparable to the 6.2 liter LSA used in the CTS-V, with little more than a bigger intercooler pump and heat exchanger.

I will say that the sound in the video seems to be that of a big pushrod V8 with little exhaust restriction.

So, we just don't know yet.

Archived