CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 Deville CD Player? Power Windows not working

my power windows stopped working and also cant pop trunk or gas any ideas? could this be my cd player causing this? it stopped working about 2 weeks ago and i've never had problems with windows before

i think when the CD player was installed they did a poor job or didnt know what they were doing any info would help

Thank You!

Edited by stevenk727

I would check the fuses in the rear compartment fuse panel. Left side.

Also pull all codes. Turn the key on and look at your climate controls.

Hold the red(warmer) button and the off button for 3 seconds and it will perform a lamp test, then all system codes will be displayed on the cluster one at a time, system by system.

Another good tip after you pull the codes is to unhook the battery cables, clean the terminals and reconnect. The hard reset can clear issues

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The OBD codes will likely tell the tale. At this point I can't tell. The power seats are on a 30 Amp circuit breaker, not a fuse, and nothing else is on that breaker (unless you have a sunroof). It could be a ground; if so, the power window switches won't light up at night.

There is a relay, and it is closed by the retained accessory power (RAP). The radio is on this power so if the radio is OK then the RAP is probably OK. This is the power that stays on when you turn off the key, but goes off when you open a door or about ten minutes goes by. Fuses that can drop the RAP if they blow are the 50 Amp BODY 3 Maxifuse and the 10 Amp IGN 1 fuse.

There is a 20 Amp CONVENIENCE fuse in the trunk compartment fuse block that powers the trunk release relay. This powers the fuel door release, too. Another fuse in the trunk compartment fuse block, the 10 Amp RADIO/PHONE fuse, must be good to power the fuel door release relay.

I'll stop here until I hear from your OBD codes. If necessary, I'll track down the circuits for the dashboard buttons and fob controls.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Cadillac Jim,,

The OBD codes will likely tell the tale. At this point I can't tell. The power seats are on a 30 Amp circuit breaker, not a fuse, and nothing else is on that breaker (unless you have a sunroof..

What is a circuit breaker vs a fuse in a car? And where would you find such a critter? Does it look like one in a house? I didn't know there was such a thing, guess thats why I am here!

Look in the underhood Maxifuse/relay blocks and fuse block. The fuses are typical fuses and the Maxifuses are like ordinary auto fuses on steroids, and are rated at 30 Amps to 50 Amps. Along with the Maxifuses, at the bottom of the row, you will see a couple of circuit breakers in the fuse slots; they are in cans.

Fuses are used where something must blow quickly to protect things, such as electronics. Circuit breakers are used for motors, which may have current spikes that would blow a fuse but are normal, such as the power windows and power seats. A small motor such as the radio antenna or trunk pull-down can be on a fuse. The circuit breakers used in cars reset themselves after a cool-down period of a few seconds.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.