CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar casting alloy content.

Chris F.

Thanks Cleatus for the help.Ijust dont understand why they would change the alloy content after the 96 year.To my knowledge there were no problems due to engine casting failure.But I guess anything is possible.If anyone can point me in the direction of finding more info on this ,please let me know.Its an interesting subject.(see previous thread on "swapping powertrain modules")Thanks

I recall bbobynski mentioning that the castings were improved somehow as the NS platform matured to stop/reduce potential oil and tranny leaks from porous castings, and I am sure that the alloy content could have changed to affect that. Why is this important?

I was told to steer away from 97 engines because of possible failure (ie head bolts pulling,possible seisure)I just wanted some more insight on this matter.I would assume if they changed the alloy content in the block it would be for the better.I dont want to put an inferior engine in my car but I already purchased it so Im going to roll the dice.For those of you who have no idea what Im talking about,I posted a thread a couple of days ago on swapping powertrain modules.Im looking for good advice on swapping a 97 STS eng. trans,computers and all the wiring into a 96 Eldo non ETC.The car has 254,000 miles on it .The newer eng. trans package has 43k on it.

I was told to steer away from 97 engines because of possible failure (ie head bolts pulling,possible seisure)I just wanted some more insight on this matter.

A '97 is no more or no less prone to failure than any of the others. In general, a 96 and beyond engine is going to be better protected, since it was filled from the factory with Dexcool, which is rather independent of time when it comes to corrosion protection. Regardless, any used engine I bought, I'd go ahead and Timesert it. The engine is already out of the car, so it would be easy to do. If you did it yourself, it'd only be a few hundred dollars' worth of parts.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived