CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mailbag: ETC Reading Codes Help?

Ralph has a Eldorado ETC and is not finding our reading codes page http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html useful, as it does not mention the ETC

Hey Bruce,

Getting around to my e-mail today little late.
YES,I have seen this page.And note first paragraph talks about ALL the Cadillac model BUT the Eldorado.Feel like an adopted child here. No mention of their top selling,fifty plus years running Eldorado model.No freakin mention.Buttons on console ARE different.Been researching this now for weeks.And when I figure this one out I plan to post YouTube my own self for the next Eldorado owners.
Frustrated.Contacted dealers and even GM back in Detroit but all in vain.Folks don't know or want to keep this information secret.YES one could buy equipment to read codes.BUT the Driver's Information Center reads out same as this expensive code reader.Actually saw it done on my own vehicle so I know it's possible.
Just angry with myself I didn't write down buttons and press sequence. My mistake and it haunts me.
Appreciate ANY help now or future should you run across what it is I'm seeking.
Thanks,
I am not explaining it well -- can someone help Ralph read codes in his ETC?
etc1.jpg
etc2.jpg
etc3.jpg

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The ETC has the same procedure for reading codes as the same year Seville STS (analog dash), except possibly 1998-1999, in which case use 1996-1997. I'm not sure about the 2000-2002.

Whatever year you have, 1993-2002, try this (from the 1997 FSM):

• The key must be ON to run the OBD codes. The engine may be off or running.
  • The best time to run the codes is when a problem is occurring, or when the car is stopped but the key has not been turned off. This is because codes that are CURRENT go to HISTORY when the key is turned off.
  • Press <Off> and <Pass Warmer> simultaneously to get into the diagnostic mode. The <Pass Warmer> is the top of the Pass Temp rocker on the far right.
  • When at a prompt, press <Off> to back up one level (i.e., repeat listing the codes, for example).
  • When at a prompt that ends with a question mark, use <FAN UP> for YES and <FAN DOWN> for NO.
  • Exit the diagnostic mode by pressing <AUTO> (press the A/C Temperature knob in), press <Info Reset>, or turn off the key.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I couldn't find information on how to read the DTC's but I did find how to enter the customization menus. I suspect that the DTC's are read by the same procedure that JimD gives for the 1998-2004 Seville. It may be in the owner's manual. From the 2002 FSM, document 686243:

Driver Personalization
Modes of Operation Automatic Door Locks

The following are the modes of operation for the automatic door locks feature:

• Mode 1:
All of the doors lock when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK with the ignition ON.
• Mode 2:
All of the doors lock when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK with the ignition ON. Only the driver door unlocks when the vehicle is shifted into PARK.
• Mode 3:
All of the doors lock when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK with the ignition ON. Only the driver door unlocks when the ignition is turned OFF.
• Mode 4:
All of the doors lock when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK with the ignition ON. All of the doors unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK.
Memory Seats Recall

The following are the modes of operation for the memory seats recall feature:

• Mode 1:
The Driver's seat recalls Driving Position on RKE UNLOCK.
• Mode 2:
The Driver's seat recalls Exit Position on RKE UNLOCK.
• Mode 3:
No recall on RKE UNLOCK.

Memory Seats Programming

Perform the following actions in order to program the memory seats for two different drivers:

1. Move the seat and the sideview mirrors to the desired positions.
  2. Press and hold the correct memory seat button for the driver until you hear two beeps.
  3. Move the seat to the desired EXIT position.
  4. Press and hold the EXIT button until you hear two beeps.
  5. Repeat steps 1 though 4 for the other driver.
Programming Features with the Driver Information Center (DIC) Enter Programming

To enter programming with the DIC, perform the following actions:

1. Turn the ignition to RUN.
  2. Place the vehicle in PARK.
  3. Press the SKIP INFO button and the INFO RESET button simultaneously for approximately 2 seconds.
Automatic Door Locks

Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the automatic door locks:

1. The DIC displays DOORS UNLOCK KEY OFF.
  2. Press the TRIP RESET button in order to display FEATURE ON or press the INFO RESET button in order to display FEATURE OFF.
  3. Press the SKIP INFO button in order to advance to the next option.
  4. The DIC displays DOORS LOCK IN GEAR.
  5. Press the TRIP RESET button in order to display FEATURE ON or press the INFO RESET button in order to display FEATURE OFF.
  6. Press the SKIP INFO button in order to advance to the next option.
  7. If the previous choice was DOORS LOCK IN GEAR FEATURE ON, the DIC displays DRIVR UNLOCK IN PARK.
  8. Press the TRIP RESET button in order to display FEATURE ON or press the INFO RESET button in order to display FEATURE OFF.
  9. Press the SKIP INFO button in order to advance to the next option.
  10. If the previous choice was DRIVR UNLOCK IN PARK FEATURE OFF, the DIC displays DRIVR UNLOCK KEY OFF.
  11. Press the TRIP RESET button in order to display FEATURE ON or press the INFO RESET button in order to display FEATURE OFF.
  12. Press the SKIP INFO button in order to advance to the next option.
  13. If the previous choice was DRIVR UNLOCK KEY OFF FEATURE OFF, the DIC displays DOORS UNLOCK KEY OFF.
  14. Press the TRIP RESET button in order to display FEATURE ON or press the INFO RESET button in order to display FEATURE OFF.
  15. Press the SKIP INFO button in order to advance to the next option.
Remote Activation Verification

Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the remote activation verification feature:

1. The DIC displays LGHTS FLSH AT UNLOCK.
  2. Press the TRIP RESET button in order to display FEATURE ON or press the INFO RESET button in order to display FEATURE OFF.
  4. The DIC displays LGHTS FLSH AT LOCK.
  5. Press the TRIP RESET button in order to display FEATURE ON or press the INFO RESET button in order to display FEATURE OFF.
  7. The DIC displays HORN SOUNDS AT LOCK.
  8. Press the TRIP RESET button in order to display FEATURE ON or press the INFO RESET button in order to display FEATURE OFF.
  9. Press the SKIP INFO button in order to advance to the next option.
  10. The DIC displays HORN SOUNDS AT UNLOCK.
  11. Press the TRIP RESET button in order to display FEATURE ON or press the INFO RESET button in order to display FEATURE OFF.
  12. Press the SKIP INFO button in order to advance to the next option.
  13. The DIC displays EXIT LIGHTS AT UNLOCK.
  14. Press the TRIP RESET button in order to display FEATURE ON or press the INFO RESET button in order to display FEATURE OFF.
  15. Press the SKIP INFO button in order to advance to the next option.
  16. The DIC displays REMOTE RECALL MEMORY.
  17. Press the TRIP RESET button in order to display FEATURE ON or press the INFO RESET button in order to display FEATURE OFF.
  18. Press the SKIP INFO button in order to advance to the next option.
  19. The DIC displays KEY IN RECALL MEMORY.
  20. Press the TRIP RESET button in order to display FEATURE ON or press the INFO RESET button in order to display FEATURE OFF.
  21. Press the SKIP INFO button in order to advance to the next option.
Parallel Park Assist, if equipped

Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the parallel park assist feature:

1. The DIC displays MIRROR TILT IN REV.
  4. The DIC displays STORAGE MODE.
Exit Programming

To exit programming before the list is complete, perform any of the following actions:

• Press any of the DIC buttons.
• Turn the key from the RUN position.

Additional information is available on the power door lock, memory seat, outside mirror, and RKE functions and customization.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Generally there was a change in model name in the late seventies or early eighties? Before that change "Eldorado" was the basic name and "Eldorado Seville" was the sporty 2-door hardtop or convertible. Later the name "Seville" became the base 4-door and "Eldorado" was it´s luxury sibling. Whenever "Seville" is mentioned about baby Cadillacs it includes "Eldorado" if nothing else is specified.

Method above for reading codes works for my -90 Seville as well as for my -00 Eldorado.

>> Just access my codes.Your outreach e-mail did the trick bringing me correct sequence and buttons.

>> Thanks again Bruce.

The original author did email and let me know this worked for his Eldorado. Hopefully he will join us in future discussions.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

There is a separate way to enter the 1997 computer for customization that was shown me when I first bought it. This method used the Info Reset, Trip Reset, and other buttons above the radio, but I don't' recall much about it. I never ran across that in the 1997 FSM; I still have that FSM and can look for it if someone want to know. There are ways to change the customization options from the diagnostic mode by entering data that I used when I owned the car. One that I recall is getting rid of the "PRESS BRAKE TO SHIFT" notice whenever the car was started.

Generally there was a change in model name in the late seventies or early eighties? Before that change "Eldorado" was the basic name and "Eldorado Seville" was the sporty 2-door hardtop or convertible. Later the name "Seville" became the base 4-door and "Eldorado" was it´s luxury sibling. Whenever "Seville" is mentioned about baby Cadillacs it includes "Eldorado" if nothing else is specified.

Method above for reading codes works for my -90 Seville as well as for my -00 Eldorado.

Cadillac has used Eldorado as the top of the line or a special model two-door (with a couple of notable exceptions) and often a convertible since it's first use in the early 1950's. There were some periods when it was only an upscale Fleetewood, though. The eighties was a period of badge engineering by GM and Cadillac nearly flatlined, reviving with the 4.9 and then the Northstar; the 1992 STS was Motor Trend's Car of the Year - without the Northstar.

There is an excellent article on the Eldorado on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Eldorado

Sorry, OT.

Reading what Cadillac Jim wrote about personalizing, memory an other settings above I wonder if there is a way to get deeper i in this. Mentioned in other thread was f.i. coding fobs that was said possible on some years. Anyone who has info on this and who knows if it´s only possible for certain years or if there are various ways of doing this and other setups?

You can set up new fobs for all 1996 and later Cadillacs yourself, and probably OBD I models too. A lot of newer cars that have touch-screen computer capability on their radios have ways to do this too. For cars that don't have a way to do this and need a scanner, such as my wife's 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT, I found that a good locksmith will have a special limited scanner to do this and will charge about $10.