CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 Cadillac Deville 4.6 AC Compressor/Clutch Problem

I have checked fuses,relay and checked power to compressor and all is OK. Ran the diagnostic and got the AC1347 code. Not sure what to do to get ac working again. Do I have to replace compressor or clutch or just clear code and add refrigerant.....thanks for any help on this.

The ACM 1347 code is the very low refrigerant code. There is a leak in the system - you could clear the code and charge the system but if you do not locate and fix the leak, it the refrigerant will leak out and the code will come back.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

So do we need to clear the code to charge it up first to seen if the clutch kicks in. Trying to see it the compressor or clutch has gone out. It made a lot of noise when we first got it and then stopped all together.

You need to get the refrigent hooked up and bleed out the air from the charge hose, then clear the code and the system will pull in the refrigerant before the code sets.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

More or less the compressor is leaking freon from the case halves and will need replaced. Also, check the sealing o-ring on the low pressure switch.

If the compressor case seals are leaking, the compressor will be all oily/dirty. The root cause of the leakage is aluminum corrosion from the uncoated ends causes the case o-rings to not seal properly. The compressor can be fixed - a seal kit is about $25.00 and a shaft seal is about $40.00. It does take some specialized tools but basically, the case, front, and rear of the compressor need to be scribed so that they get reassembled in exactly the same orientation. The pistons must remain in the same locations as well.

The corrosion is polished away with a Dremel tool with a wire brush, thouroughly cleaned and then the compressor is reassembled with new o-rings, etc.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

More or less the compressor is leaking freon from the case halves and will need replaced. Also, check the sealing o-ring on the low pressure switch.

barczy01...I am curious if that is a typical leaking point? or why you make that statement. I just had to change the hose that runs from the compressor up behind the radiator.

airmike,

It is true that not all leaks are automatically the case half seals but the HD6/HT6 compressor is notorious for leaking at the case half seals with age. It is not if but when. It is kind of sad - if they would have continued to protect the ends from corrosion, the compressors would last virtually forever.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

When I was at the dealer in the 90's, I was installing a ton of HD6 compressors in a variety of makes Chevrolet, Cadillac, all using the Harrison compressor. The compressors would leak at the case halves, expelling the freon, clutch pulley bearings would get noisy. Its a shame cause how long was Cadillac using Harrison compressors, late 60's? Cadillac went to the Mitsubishi compressor in 1998 in the Seville, then in 2000 to Deville and have had very little issues.

- airmike: If its a 2000, yes those short hoses leak from compressor to condenser are common. But, prior years it was mostly the harrison compressor and the low pressure switch o-rings, some evap cores.

barczy01 and KHE

I appreciate the answers. I was not looking forward to getting the freon in this thing to turn around and have the compressor lose it all again soon. Freon today. :yupi3ti: