CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk pulldown on 1996 Concourse

debartz

The pulldown stopped working on my 1996 Concourse. It started not working early last winter. But each time it must have worked over night. Now it does not work at all. The trunk is latched, it just doesn't pull down.

Is there a way to replace the pulldown?

The pulldown stopped working on my 1996 Concourse. It started not working early last winter. But each time it must have worked over night. Now it does not work at all. The trunk is latched, it just doesn't pull down.

Is there a way to replace the pulldown?

You do not need to replace the entire pulldown assembly - both the upper and lower switches are available from GM. Some troubleshooting will indicate will indicate what switch to replace. Visually examine the upper switch - if it is not brokn, activate the upper switch - the trunk light should go off and then back on when the switch is released.

The lower switch contains the switch that controls the "TRUNK AJAR" light - the paddle switch. The smaller switch controls the motor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Sorry, I posted this same subject back last December. At that time I tried to use heat on it. I didn't know then that the winter from "he double hockey sticks" was going to decend on us. It did pull down that night and one other time again overnight without adding any heat. I decided then to not mess with it until the weather got better.

I will look at it as best as I can, but was hoping for more ideas.

Thanks and I will report back.

Other than proper troubleshooting techniques that I outlined, I don't have anymore ideas...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 3 weeks later...

You can take the latch out and unplug the switches and manually adjust the latch until it lets the trunk shut tight. then you have to use the key to unlock it and slam it shut like cars without a pull down latch.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would update you on the trunk pull down problem.

I took the pull down apart and replaced the pull down switch. $45 and problem solved.

Thanks for all the advise.

I thought I would update you on the trunk pull down problem.

I took the pull down apart and replaced the pull down switch. $45 and problem solved.

Thanks for all the advise.

The lower "paddle" switch?

Toward the end of March, the pulldown quit working on my '97 STS. It was the lower switch! I think I may buy a spare for my '93 Fleetwood Brougham (that has the original switch) before GM decides to discontinue that part...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

glad you got it fixed. My 96 deville quit last year. luckily I had a spare switch and problem was solved

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is acting up too. It stays open for hours and eventually closes. I've take the paddle switch out and cleaned the connections and it work for a while. Now it's acting up again. Looks like I'll probably replace that soon too.. Upper switch is fine..

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

• 5 months later...

I have a question about the lower switch. I bought a new lower switch and have two others used. The problem is the lower switch, not the upper. I still have a problem getting the trunk to close all the time. I can take the bottom switch off and on a bunch of times and it still won't work. I have to clean the connection at the motor side where the bottom switch plugs into. Then it'll work for a few times and stop again. Then I clean the connection and it works again. Is there something that I can put on the connection to make it get a better connection?

Follow the wires along the deck lid hinge to the point where they connect to the body harness. It is possible there is a break in one of the wires and it is making intermittent contact.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would pull the pulldown motor assembly out, I have had the same issue you describe, all but one had to do with where the lower switch plugs into the motor. I have had pictures to show the common area.

I think they corrode inside the see through plastic part and lose connection. This is for the paddle switch that mounts to the motor assembly. Remove and inspect it and you will see what I am referring to.

I just went through it last year with my 96. Swapped the whole assembly and problem did not reoccur.

I should still have the old one somewhere. If I locate it I will take a few more pics

GM FAN FOREVER

No break in the wires. Definitely a problem at the connection to the pull down motor. I'll have to see if I can get one in the junkyard. Can these still be had through GM? I remember reading something a long time ago and thought there was a electrical lube for connections?

It seems to be making a pretty good connection there though. I had the wife hold the upper switch as I unplugged and plugged it in a bunch of time and it would do nothing. Wipe the plug in connections at the PDM and it works.. That doesn't sound like it would be internal really, but could be. At first I just had a paper towel with a little rubbing alcohol on it and that worked. Then tried the little wire brush..

I usually put dielectricic grease or a spray of wd-40 on my car connections before i plug them in.

It also helps prevent accidentally pushing a pin on a male plug into the connector. Troubleshooting that can be a nightmare.

the lubrication helps the water resistant insulator form a good seal

Are you still having the problem?

It is not really a plug I speak of. It is the connection on the motor between the the paddle switch and the motor

GM FAN FOREVER

Sorry, I haven't used the car since I last posted. This is what I'm talking about. I have to keep cleaning this connection. It's where the paddle switch plugs into the motor.. I unplug the switch and clean that connection where the red arrow is pointing. I unplug the switch and plug it back in a bunch of times and you'd think that would clean the contacts but it don't. It's not until I hit the connection with a fine wire brush a swipe or two and it works every time.

post-235-0-92960200-1415227571_thumb.jpg