CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I´ve lost it...... again!

Traded my E500 for a Eldo -00. Runs great and shifts splendid! 60k miles.

But....... It has current codes: P0385, P0741 and P1574. :angry2: They all return after 20-30 miles. Can¨t tell if there was any History codes since they had been cleared.

I know that this is a common problem. What should I do to prevent big time failiur?

The P1574 code is for the brake light switch. Are your brake lights working properly? There are two switches that interface to the brake pedal arm. Sometimes, they can get moved from the correct position. The switch can be turned and then pulled out, then pushed in so the switch contacts the pedal, then turned the opposite way to lock the switch in place. It is possible that is all that is wrong.

The P1860 code (which you do not report as setting) is the one that causes the false P0741 code. Well, not exactly false because the torque converter doesn't lock up (it can't if the solenoid is bad). You may be looking at replacing the seals in the torque converter apply circuit and the torque converter if it is caught early. If the torque converter does not lock up, it will generate a lot of heat and over time, the intenal clutches will start to load the transmission with debris.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If your car still has onboard diagnostics (off & warmer), put the car in the mode, and check your hvac display. As you step on the brake, you should see an icon following along with your foot. (It will let you know if the transmission sees your brake pedal actions correctly)

Hmmmmm........ The two switches - is there a proper way to adjust them? Any messures?

What do I need to dismount in order to find them? I can not see or feel anything, looking from the floor up.

Remove the closure panel from blow the steering column and look at the brake pedal arm - there will be two white switches - removal and installaton is per the first part in post 4. You must not force the switch against the teeth on the bushing or the bushing teeth will strip. GM sells the bushing separately if you mess it up.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

winterset:

All Northstar Eldorado have the OBD system. Do I have to go into any submenu or will that function be ready as soon as the "christmastree" has turned off? I tried but did not see anything when stepping on the breake.

Got the two switches out. Seems to work ok but I dont know specifications??????

The "single switch" and one on the "dubble switch" has a reverse function. Power out when breake pedal at rest. Is it supposed to work like that?

Yes. When in diagnostic mode, the hvac display reads the temp ets. But as soon as i select yes to pcm, hvac enters a different state. A few icons appear, and when i shift or touch the brake pedal, it changes illuminates the respective action. As i drive, the icons change for each gear etc. i have a 96 deville. Can it be different?

About the P0741. It shows up once(!) after the motor gets warm and if I errase it won´t come back for the rest of that trip. How can that be? The P1574 shows up sometimes but not time related to P0741. Found nothing obvius wrong in the break pedal switches.

I´ve also experianced occational P0335 and P0385 but I guess it´s unrelated?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I love that red. My 96 was just like that. It had a black interior also, Was very nice if it had been taken care of.

Sorry to hear you sold it

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived