CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Are there any options for a wider track?

STS Scott

I noticed he rear stance on the STS seems just a little to "thin", and it got me wondering if there is any way to alter it.

It wasn't noticeable before, when I had the stock 16 inch wheels, but now with the taller 17's, the wheels seem to be hidding inside the rear wheel wells. The stodgy 225/60R17 tires I got stuck with (well stuck with for free lol) don't help at all...but until I can get a wider tire (255/50R17 ideally), I would like to push the rear wheels out just a tad.

I have learned spacers are a bad route to take, but would I have to replace the whole hub assembly just to achieve about an inch more?

This is the only pic of the rear I have where you can sort of see what I mean...

post-3-1102914403.jpg

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

The only way to change the track is a spacer or a wheel with a different offset. Take caution not to space them out too far so as the tires hit the lip of the wheel well on full suspension compression.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The wheels are the 7.5 inch wide ones from the CTS. The new STS has the same style wheel, only they are 8 inches wide (to accomodate for the wider tire, I suppose). I guess if I had the wider STS wheel, that would of helped a bit.

I wonder what the off-set on my wheels is relative to the original 16 inch wheels from 1995?

Oh, and Thanks for the compliment Dadillac!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Archived