CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

alternator not working 01 eldorado

rockfangd

Hi all. I feel like pulling my hair out right now.

My alternator was bad on my 01 eldo esc. It output good when it was cool but as it heated up stopped putting out.

Anyway. I ordered a brand new delco remy replacement and installed it, found the main stud was loose and damaged. sent it back for a replacement.

Installed replacement today, went well, no problems, but it is not outputting at all.

I checked the main cable at the alternator and it has proper battery voltage. I checked the plug to the alternator and found nothing obviously wrong.

the code on the dash is p0622. If I reset it it comes right back.I am thinking it is just DOA.

I did not short or arc anything during replacement. I had the battery disconnected.

The only thing I did was run the car for about one minute without a alternator when I removed the first damaged one. Could running the car without the alternator plugged in damage anything?

I feel sometimes the luck I have is rotten.

Thanks all

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I'm going to say no. Running the car without an alternator should not have damaged anything. The fact that it ran at all is surprising though, since they won't run without the air intake hose to the filter housing connected! (at least my '99 wouldn't)

I'd say you just got another bad one. Where are these replacements coming from? It might pay you to go to a local Gen/starter/alternator shop for your next attempt at getting this fixed.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

P0622 Generator F-Terminal Circuit

In the 2002 FSM, there are five wires and a ground at the alternator. One phase is available as the P terminal and there is an S terminal to the regulator that are not used. The big BATT terminal goes to a battery cable. The F (GRY wire) and L (RED wire) terminals go to the PCM.

The 2002 FSM for P0622 says that the F signal is a PWM signal provided by the generator for the PCM to give information on generator loading. The DTC is thrown if the duty cycle is 65% or higher when the key is on but the engine is off - for at least five seconds, OR if the engine is running but at less than 3000 RPM and the duty cycle is 5% or lower for at least 15 seconds.

You can tell which condition is throwing the code by noting whether the code is thrown and the light comes on when the key is off, or more likely the PWM signal inside the regulator is bad and the duty cycle is zero after the engine starts, and it takes about 15 seconds for the generator light to come on.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have purchased them from rockauto.

JIm nailed it. it takes about 15 seconds for the light to come back on. I am thinking the code is thrown because the pcm tells the alternator to output but its feedback signal is not shown.

Also the air cleaner duct does not need to be removed to replace the alternator. it is on the other side.

I am going to look into it tomorrow. I dont think I want to wait for another one to take a chance.

I went with a new because I figured a new would be better than a reman but it didnt work

GM FAN FOREVER

Those wires in the alternator harness go bad at times. Inside the insulation they seperate. I have had it happen to me.

I would have the alternator tested - if it passes the test, the problem could be in the harness that connects it to the PCM as barczy01 says.

I had the connector break on me - a trip to the junkyard yielded a replacement connector end that I transferred to the existing harness.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Also the air cleaner duct does not need to be removed to replace the alternator. it is on the other side.

Yes, I know. I only said that to point out that the engine on my '99 STS wouldn't run with that hose disconnected, so I was surprised to learn that the engine would run without the alternator connected. Useless information, I realize that too.

oh lol sorry I didnt think of that. They dont like to run with the MAF unplugged

GM FAN FOREVER

Well I ordered a new pigtail for morning. I pray it works because I really dont want to have to do the alternator again,

GM FAN FOREVER

Well I ordered a new pigtail for morning. I pray it works because I really dont want to have to do the alternator again,

Instead of throwing parts at it, look at the diagram and see whre the wires from the alternator harness lead to and run a continuity check to verify the integrity of the wiring. I would also take the alternator tested to verify that it is good.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

well I dont like how the wires feel toward the plug anyway, and I would feel better with changing it. I wouldnt consider it throwing parts at it.

GM FAN FOREVER

well great news. Inspected pigtail, found needle size pinhole in the red wire about 1/4 inch from the plug. Replaced the pigtail and cleared the code. The wire must have corroded away internally and was working until I disturbed it. Definately a good call. When I installed the alternator I didnt really like the condition of the wires anyhow. I am just grateful to not have to pull the alternator again.

Thanks all for the help

GM FAN FOREVER

Apology accepted! Based on your tenacity and general understanding of mechanical ( and electrical ) issues, I hearby nominate you to the Cadillac Master Craftsman Recognition Hall. Good Job!

And no, I have not consulted with BbF.

I had an issue under warranty with the red wire! I had to run a new one all the way to the PCM on a 97 Eldo with two engine issues before . Here to help .

thank you so much, It makes perfect sense. I love this forum because it helps us to pinpoint things we might have missed or not even thought of

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived