CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Note: 3.6L oil filter o-ring seal 50K mile change

Well the parts manager was right; the O-ring seal on the cap side of the oil filter housing is reusable. General Motors has determined it is only reusable to a certain point. They even went as far as to assign a specific mileage of exactly when the seal is to be replaced. This magical number is 50,000 miles. If I sound a little sarcastic, then I didn’t do a good job of hiding my feelings. I truly believe that the seal should be replaced on every oil change.

Read more: http://www.certifiedmastertech.com/wordpress/2014/03/21/gm-v6-oil-change-warning/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

no doubt a very good read.

THis brings up a a good point. I work on diesels on a daily basis and cartridge filters are used from most everything, from oil to fuel, etc... and I find that when the cap is installed without lubricating the oring it causes it to stretch during the removal and install of the cap.

I would not necessary feel comfortable with relying on a oring for 50k miles but would not expect to pay 7.00 for a o-ring.

I wonder what the logic was behind the decision to not replace the seal with the filter and to sell it seperately.

I found no sarcasm in the writeup and thought it was pretty thorough.

What about aftermarket filters? If there are any do they come with a seal, or are they the same as the oem filters?

Thanks yet again for posting something of interest

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I just called my friend who is an AC Delco dealer/repair shop. 12577653 is a AC Delco part # as well and he told me my cost was about $3 and btw, about $5 for the oil filter.

Note - GM parts for the most part are always cheaper from an AC Delco retailer

Under $3 at Rockauto; they also have the oil cartridge cap for around $25. My Intrigue (3.5 L engine with same cartridge but different cap; had two "O" rings) never leaked and was never replaced (after 14 years and nearly 140,000 miles); used either the same of similar "O" rings).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

wow. Must be the design of the material doesnt stretch like regular seals. Likely made with silicone

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived