CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 DeVille engine removal

A while back I did something really dumb, I punched a hole in the engine pan. I thought oh well I'll just change it out. Ha!!!

After having it in my garage looking it over I found the exhaust crossover captures the pan in place. So I started getting ready to pull the engine out the top BUT WAIT, THERES MORE, it won't come out the top. I have to drop the cradle!

I now have the engine out and am in the process of replacing the pan. I figure now is the perfect time to take care of some other items also. Heater fan ( it only comes out with the engine out of the way), valve cover gaskets, transmission filter and gasket, oil pressure sending unit, heater hoses.

Anyone have any ideas of other parts I might consider replacing while the engine is out?

I'll keep you posted.

Rod

Hello. Just a few things come to mind.

Motor mounts

O2 sensors, especially the one on the manifold facing the firewall.

coolant crossover gaskets and the coolant pipes that wrap around the back side of the engine.

Oil level sensor, and oil pressure sender if necessary.

remove and clean the egr valve and pipes. check your vacumn ports on the intake.

That is all I can think of at the moment. Post some pics if you like of the progress and some nice engine pics.

Best of luck to you

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The engine will come out the top - I've pulled a couple that way. The hood needs to be removed or the gas struts disconnected and then tie the hood to an overhead tie point so that it is in the vertical position.

Check the silicone heater pipe couplers on the driver's side of the engine for cracks. Check the heater pipes that run along the back side of the engine for signs of rust-through. You may want to re-seal the lower case half, and replace the oil manifold plate that is between the oil pan and the lower case half while you have the engine out if it shows any signs of leakage.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If your pulling the engine out up top your gonna need to remove the rear exhaust manifold and the alternator.

• 6 months later...

It took me about 6 weeks to get the car back on the road. I opted to drop the cradle to access the engine. Pretty straightforward just lots of parts. I caused myself a number of problems, I wasn’t paying attention and let the axels hang which let them come apart inside. I ended up replacing them, they were a bit loose with 185,000 mi on them. I did end up with a couple left over parts (aghhhh) which really bothers me. I’ve just decided to keep them and see what transpires. So far the only remaining problem is a possible radiator leak which would have been nice to know before reassembly.

I also just replaced the starter cable. It was so corroded at the starter it wouldn’t spin the engine unless the battery was fully charged and only barely at that. Now it spins quite well. I opted to take apart the cable, clean it and solder it back together. GM’s cost for a new cable here is $185.00 I couldn’t believe it. I did have to replace the intake gaskets, they were both falling apart. The cost for one new gasket was $14.00 They are a pretty fancy design to be so cheap.

Anyway, back on the road again. All thats left is to charge A/C system.

Thanks for all your input. I did change the parts you listed.

One last question, any ides what the sensor is that is in the valley next to the starter motor? Just curious.

Rod

It took me about 6 weeks to get the car back on the road. I opted to drop the cradle to access the engine. Pretty straightforward just lots of parts. I caused myself a number of problems, I wasn’t paying attention and let the axels hang which let them come apart inside. I ended up replacing them, they were a bit loose with 185,000 mi on them. I did end up with a couple left over parts (aghhhh) which really bothers me. I’ve just decided to keep them and see what transpires. So far the only remaining problem is a possible radiator leak which would have been nice to know before reassembly.

I also just replaced the starter cable. It was so corroded at the starter it wouldn’t spin the engine unless the battery was fully charged and only barely at that. Now it spins quite well. I opted to take apart the cable, clean it and solder it back together. GM’s cost for a new cable here is $185.00 I couldn’t believe it. I did have to replace the intake gaskets, they were both falling apart. The cost for one new gasket was $14.00 They are a pretty fancy design to be so cheap.

Anyway, back on the road again. All thats left is to charge A/C system.

Thanks for all your input. I did change the parts you listed.

One last question, any ides what the sensor is that is in the valley next to the starter motor? Just curious.

Rod

Glad to hear you got it running. I use "Ziploc" bags and label the contents when I do a big job like that - It is worth the effort - no leftover parts.

The sensor next to the starter is the knock sensor - it detects any spark knock and provides input to the ECM so the timing may be adjusted.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have a request for all of you out there, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t take short cuts or cut corners, be safe, use all tools properly.

I had a very bad experience today. I had the car jacked up and I had slid under the car to check out some leaks. Something caught my attention, I looked down and the engine pan had settled down on my chest and was starting to get heavy. I was pinned. I started yelling as loud as I could. Luckily luckily luckily I was in the driveway in front of the house and not in back at the shop. The front door was open, Yolanda was in the living room and heard me. She came out and started jacking the car up until I got out. I was absolutely terrified. I am not prone to crying, can’t remember the last time I cried but I spent the next 3 minutes crying on her shoulder.

If she wouldn’t have been there then I wouldn’t be here now. I owe her my life. She is truly my guardian angel! I have always loved her with all my heart, even more now.

The embarrassing part about this story is my jack-stands were within my sight when I felt the car lowering.

I love you all so please be safe.

Rod

I have a request for all of you out there, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t take short cuts or cut corners, be safe, use all tools properly.

I had a very bad experience today. I had the car jacked up and I had slid under the car to check out some leaks. Something caught my attention, I looked down and the engine pan had settled down on my chest and was starting to get heavy. I was pinned. I started yelling as loud as I could. Luckily luckily luckily I was in the driveway in front of the house and not in back at the shop. The front door was open, Yolanda was in the living room and heard me. She came out and started jacking the car up until I got out. I was absolutely terrified. I am not prone to crying, can’t remember the last time I cried but I spent the next 3 minutes crying on her shoulder.

If she wouldn’t have been there then I wouldn’t be here now. I owe her my life. She is truly my guardian angel! I have always loved her with all my heart, even more now.

The embarrassing part about this story is my jack-stands were within my sight when I felt the car lowering.

I love you all so please be safe.

Rod

It started out as a bad experience but it turned out to be a good experience. You are very lucky - I'm glad you are OK. When I'm working under the car, I have my wife or children check on me every so often just in case something happens.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived