CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

new warning light message

skyman

Yesterday I noticed a warning message on the dash board which read "check gas cap". So, I did I unscrewed it checked it out...it looked fine to me. I screwed it back on...turned the car off then restarted it and the message came back. I also have a air bag warning light that is always on that I just ignor. Occaisionally I'll get an abs warning but it always goes out. What could that gas cap warning be about?

The check gas cap could actually be a leak in the evaporation emissions system (so the gas cap re-install may not work, however; you may need a couple of start-ups (without getting the gas cap error) before it clears (unless you clear the code with a scanner.

As far as the airbag warning, check under your front seats and push the yellow (air bag) connectors together (maybe even use a zip-tie) to hold the connector (better) together; happened on my STS; if the connector corrects the error (that one) should be immediate (light should go off).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

You need to run your OBD codes to get the details of what is causing these warning lights. The gas cap warning means that the gas tank isn't holding pressure, and C&C has good advice on that one. Please run your OBD codes and post them here to get advice on the others.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I just ran the OBD codes

The Active codes are

IPC U1000

IPM B0429

PCM P0455

SDM B0100

Two days ago the CHECK ENGINE light came on. After I just ran the OBD, I cleared the currant codes. The CHECK ENGINE LIGHT did not come back on. I'm going out in the car to do some errands so I'll see if it comes back on. The check gas cap warning still comes on below the speedometer.

For the P0455...Take the gas cap off and look at the rubber seal real good. Make sure it is not torn or worn excessively and that it seals well when you tighten the gas cap.

If the gas cap is OK...check all of the vacuum hoses around the charcoal canister and on the Evaporative Vent Valve and/or Evaporative Purge Valve...

Posted Image

I ran the obd again and cleared all codes .After a day the check gas cap and now Service engine soon came on. This morming I bought a new gas cap and then cleared all codes. So far no warning messages. Only the air bag warning. I fiddled with what looked like a yellow wiring connector but nothing happend . I'll give it an other try and also check under the passenger seat. Car runs fine though.

Now after a few days with the new gas cap on, the "check gas cap" warning message came back.

You have a vacuum leak....

Check all of the vacuum hoses around the charcoal canister and on the Evaporative Vent Valve and/or Evaporative Purge Valve..

Posted Image

Texas Jim's advice is on the money as usual. I would like to add a couple of things to the list. Do you drive on the beach at Port Saint Lucie? If so, after 9 years, there may be some corrosion to the filler neck of the fuel tank as well. Also the heat of Florida has no mercy for rubber/plastic parts. Vacuum hoses should be checkedthouroughly for briitleness and cracking.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived