CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My 96 Deville keeps overheating.. I've tested the heads for leaks.. passed. changed the tstat twice. put new radiator hoses. flushed the radiator and the engine. This has been over the corse of 3 weeks. everytime i change a part or add new fluid she runs fine for two days an then will not cool down. fans work properly, no leaks. When it runs hot the hoses are full af fluid and tight as if there is no circulation hense the change of the tstat.. like i said, ran fine for 2 days and did the same thing. tried flushing the system thinking there was a clog but again, after i was done she ran fine for a day and a half an overheated again. Tomorrow I'm suppose to change the water pump?? Any advise before i start this procedure? Pls? Jay.. bka.. rotwyla. thanks in advance.

Before changing the water pump and before doing ANYTHING ELSE to it.... check for flow from the purge line going from the engine to the coolant tank.

If that line is stopped up, it WILL over heat.

Posted Image

My 96 Deville keeps overheating.. I've tested the heads for leaks.. passed. changed the tstat twice. put new radiator hoses. flushed the radiator and the engine. This has been over the corse of 3 weeks. everytime i change a part or add new fluid she runs fine for two days an then will not cool down. fans work properly, no leaks. When it runs hot the hoses are full af fluid and tight as if there is no circulation hense the change of the tstat.. like i said, ran fine for 2 days and did the same thing. tried flushing the system thinking there was a clog but again, after i was done she ran fine for a day and a half an overheated again. Tomorrow I'm suppose to change the water pump?? Any advise before i start this procedure? Pls? Jay.. bka.. rotwyla. thanks in advance.

DO NOT change the water pump unless it is leaking coolant from the weep hole under the water pump housing. All that will do is lighten your wallet and will not solve the problem.

Check the purge line as Jim suggested. There is a TON of information on that in the searchable archives.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have a 96. It started overheating. Everything checked out fine. Turns out the relays for the radiator were flaking out. The fan was not turning on but the A/C fan would run. I cleaned up the relays and the problem has been gone for the last 4 years!

Good luck!

Note that bad cooling fans or relays will throw OBD codes P0480 through P0485. This kind of think is why I always want to know what the OBD codes are before I venture much.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived